Power problem...plugged in but flashes to not charging and screen dims constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antoniobandanas, Feb 10, 2011.

1. antoniobandanas macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

new to forum and have tried to search for similar problems with no luck.

my late 2010 MPB is plugged in and charging, but every minute or sooner the screen dims as the laptop stops charging. this lasts a few seconds then its resumes charging and screen returns brightness.

any similar problems reported, solutions etc?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What is the charged status of your battery? Fully charged? What percent charged? What are your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Possibly bad RAM? That was the symptom, random screen flickers, when I upgraded my RAM in my MBP a few months ago. Replaced RAM and it was fine. That's probably not your problem but I wouldn't rule it out.

4. antoniobandanas thread starter macrumors newbie

percentage varies, but it is not when near 100 mark, the last time about 10 minutes ago it was at 76%.

i since unplugged it for that 10 minutes and now back in with no issues but judging from past problems it will no doubt start again.

battery was recently calibrated also. power settings have been changed around during troubleshooting, including matching the screen brightness when charging and not, but I still get the dimming when it stops charging. trying to avoid taking it into the store.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might also check to make sure you have a secure connection, both at the wall outlet, and where the MagSafe adapter plugs into your MBP. Be sure to check out the Battery FAQ link I posted. It has a lot of useful information.