Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binnybugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hi All!

Just hoping someone may have an idea as to why my macs not powering up at all? All I am getting when I press the power button is a slight VERY QUIET ticking noise that comes from (looking at the screen) left hand side out of the air vent strip; I assume maybe its a fan slightly starting then deciding not to?

It has done it once before but then i left it completely unplugged for 12 hours and that afternoon it started up fine and has been fine for a week or so but decided not to work yesterday or today.

If anybody has any advise, questions, knowledge as to why it'snot powering up at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Binny :):confused:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
My primary guess would be the power cord is not making contact with all three prongs. Check the back of your Mac and see if you have a tight firm connection.

Secondary guess is that you have a dying power supply unit, easily repairable.

binnybugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks very much for your reply. when looking at power supplies for replacement does the size of the screen and the year model of the mac effect what sort of device you purchase?

one reason why i ask is this tutorial i have found; http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacg5_17inch_power_supply.pdf
makes it look real easy however it says its for a 17inch and mines a 21.5 inch

and on ebay they have power supplies for a mac thats our of that exact tutorial. (G5?, 17inch 180watt)

Cheers,

Binny :)

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I would imagine the model and output of the power supply is going to change between each model.

You should really be looking toward the 21.5" power supply as it may differ from the 17 in both power output (should be more than 180watts) and the connectors may differ.

I can make no promises that it is the power supply at fault but it's my best educated guess based on what you have told me.

If it is cheap enough to try and you're confident making the replacement I see no harm in trying. What year is your Mac? I'll see if I can find one.

----------

After some research all 21.5" iMacs use a 250w power supply and can be had for around £120. You can use any model of 21.5" (they all cost the same).

http://www.thebookyard.com/mac_power_supplies.php?manufacturers_id=25&sort=2a&filter_id=225

----------

Here's the guide:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2308-Power-Supply/1771/1

binnybugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Oh thanks! Well to be honest with you im not sure what yr model it is but i bought it just over 12 months ago so i assume early 2011 or late 2010..? Its hard to no when it wont boot up!!

Thanks a lot for your help :)

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
If it's just over 12 months then Apple will fix it.

Phone Apple and explain you have had issues with the machine not turning on previously and that for such an expensive purchase you're not happy. It has just arrived outside the 12 months and you feel it is a fault inherent since its purchase.

Apple are quite good with these situations and will sympathise with the customer if you're only just outside the 1 year.

A EU directive states that if a defect is present from manufacture it needs to be addressed, your power supply may have been faulty all along.

----------

If that fails the link I gave you is the part you need (same for all 21.5" Macs)

binnybugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
So can i ask your recommendation. Would u advise to take it to a apple repairer for them to determind if its for sure the power supply!?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
My first port of call, if it were me, would be to phone apple or visit a retail apple store with the computer. Explain that it has had issues with not turning on previous to the end of warranty and that you need it repaired. They will most likely repair as good will.

Secondly would be if they refuse get a genius to diagnose and give you a repair cost.

Thirdly see if the price they give is cheaper than £120

If it's not then i'd do it myself.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In my opinion, the most sensible thing to do is to take your machine to your local Apple Approved Service Provider ( address on Apple site). They will run diagnostic tests, diagnose the problem and give you a quote for any work that may be required. All work is covered by an Apple Warranty.

I've used my local Service Provider and found them to be most helpful.

binnybugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice, i phoned apple today and they advised me to unplug my mac and hold in the power button for 10 - 15secs and then plug it in to power and try turn it on; and it worked. Not sure what it restarted but it did something positive.

Other then that they said if it didn't work they would look at it under warranty for me. So that was good to know!:rolleyes::D

But i have saved this forum post to my email to relate back to incase i have any other issues with it! -fingers crossed that i dont-

Thanks again :D

Binny :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.