Power protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nStyle, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell me the best way to protect my Mac in a storm?

The other night there was really loud thunder but I didn't see any lightning. I unplugged my charger from the wall after I heard one clash of thunder (really loud, but didn't see lightning, weird). I believe my modem got hit because it no longer works. I tried a different modem and it works fine.

Anyway, what is the best option... UPS or surge protector? Or neither? And can anyone directly recommend me a good product to buy, or what to look for when buying one of these?

2. loveabitofpizza macrumors newbie

loveabitofpizza

I use a 4-plug surge protector for all my "techy" items, gives you a little bit of insurance, but still unplug everything when I hear a storm coming... can't be too careful! :D

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use a UPS for both of my computers. A surge protector won't always save electronics.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

A UPS is just a surge protector and a battery. Since the MBP has its own battery, a UPS is not necessary for data integrity.

Unless you have an online UPS, which somewhat isolates the load with a battery charger, battery, and inverter. But those are expensive, and most people don't have them.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I thought he was just talking about a Mac like an iMac. A MacBook or MBP would do fine with just a surge protector.