Power Reserve on Watch OS 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jabz10, Oct 5, 2015.

1. jabz10 macrumors member

When I place the watch into power reserve mode manually, it will display the time briefly then the display will go black.
    However then when I press the side button to show the time, it won't show time but instead shows a picture of the USB Charging cable with a red lightning bolt.
    What's this mean, shouldn't it show the time? Note I still have 57% battery life remaining.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First, why???? Power Reserve is only for when you are almost out of power. I would NEVER use it since it doesn't do anything IMO useful. It shuts ALL services off and only displays the time. It is the last step before the :apple:Watch powers off and must be power cycled in order to reset and use again. This reset happens when you put it on the charger puck.

3. jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the lesson in what power reserve does, I already knew that. Now back to my OP question please...

4. Julien, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Press the Digital Crown and NOT the button. The button is for the Power and this is why it is asking for the charger puck.

EDIT: Sorry this is incorrect. It looks like using the Power Button should show the time. Although it seems to take a while. Have you tried a total restart?

5. jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

Nope the Digital Crown is disabled during Power reserve mode, all instructions say to press the Side Button. But thats not working for me, just shows the charger cable with red lightning bolt, regardless of remaining battery... hmm

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Mine does the same thing. Glad I'm not alone. I'm on about 50% charge for what it's worth.

I was just experimenting to see what those mode does.

7. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I get the time if I hold it down for a while.

8. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This may be a regional setting issue. OP, what region setting are you using?

9. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

does the time come on if you tap the screen while in Power Reserve mode?

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Same!
    Just don't hold down for as long so it restarts the watch, few seconds does the trick.

Don't believe so just the side button.

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This is a regional issue. The issue he is experiencing is related to his region settings.

Of course this doesn't help, because changing your region obviously changes the time. Can only wait for a fix from Apple.

12. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

They did just send out a update. Maybe covered in that?

13. jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

Hi I am in New Zealand. I will check it out by changing region to US. Might have to submit a Bug.

Apple so far have said it maybe faulty to send it back. I kept saying its a software thing not a fault. I have yet to send it back.

Pressing the side button for any length of time does not show the time, all that displays is that picture with the large cable and lightning bolt. Tapping screen does nothing, and the digital crown is disabled in this mode.
    If I keep holding the side button this will eventually restart the watch as we all know.

14. jabz10, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

Just testing by changing the Settings, Region Format in the Watch app to US. Retested power reserve mode, and got the same behaviour. Also tried Australia.

Then I changed the region on my iPhone and on the Watch app, and that makes power reserve work fine, and show the time when pressing the side button So it is a region bug.

Edit: Just submitted a Bug report.

15. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yes, it's a region bug. Wouldn't be the first time NZers have had exclusive bugs. It's why it's so hard to find instances of this bug online.