Power rMPB via Thunderbolt Display or supplied adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kobayagi, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

So I finally found and bought a 2015 15" rMBP. Really happy with it, coming from a 2011 13" Air.
    Because I need it to last me for a few years, and I need the power, I got the 2,5ghz/512gb/m370x model.

One question though:

As the title states, I'm using it with Apple's Thunderbolt Display, which can also power the notebook. But should I do it this way? The adapter that Apple supplied with the notebook is huge (85w) and I'm not sure the display can give it the power it needs. It might also need the full power more often since it has the dGPU. I'm not saying it doens't work, all is good, but since the display is getting quite hot I thought this might be the reason.

So is it wiser to just use the supplied adapter and let one cable of the Thunderbolt Display just hang there?
    Of course it's nicer if I can use it without any problems. It's one cable and plug less around the power strip + I can just put the adapter in my bag and take it with me incase I need to recharge the notebook at college. And when I get home, I don't have the hassle of putting it back in the power strip and up behind my desk and into the notebook every time I return home.

It would be great to hear what you guys think, maybe you're in the same situation and have been using one method for years without problems.

Thanks

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Both are equally acceptable answers. It's easier to connect one cable than two. I'd use the display power.

3. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The Thunderbolt Display was specifically designed to charge MacBook Pro. It was designed in an era of 13", 15" and 17" laptops. I wouldn't fret at all about charging your 15". I've been using mine with a 2014 15" for over 2 years.

4. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Great, thanks. These are the responses I was looking for, actual usage not just theories I find when googling around.