Power Saver Mode Prevents External HR Display in Workout?

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
I sent this to Apple. Using Scosche Rythym + for HR. When I choose power saver mode on my AW3 Cellular, the metric "Heart Rate" will not display on workouts, even though I've chosen it in workout metrics. The Power Saver Mode toggle says "....Bluetooth-connected heart rate monitors are not affected".

I would say they are VERY affected.

If I want to see external HR, I can't select power saver mode, which leaves cellular on. But of course the AW HR sensor is disabled when external HR connected. Though the AW did track and report heart rate from the Scosche with my run.

Anyone have a workaround?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I sent this to Apple. Using Scosche Rythym + for HR. When I choose power saver mode on my AW3 Cellular, the metric "Heart Rate" will not display on workouts, even though I've chosen it in workout metrics. The Power Saver Mode toggle says "....Bluetooth-connected heart rate monitors are not affected".

I would say they are VERY affected.

If I want to see external HR, I can't select power saver mode, which leaves cellular on. But of course the AW HR sensor is disabled when external HR connected. Though the AW did track and report heart rate from the Scosche with my run.

Anyone have a workaround?
Are you choosing the workout Power Save Mode or the Power Save Mode for the whole Watch?

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Are you choosing the workout Power Save Mode or the Power Save Mode for the whole Watch?
Power Saving Mode from the Workout App setting in phone watch app. Wasn't even aware of the global Power Save Mode until you said that and I looked it up on the watch. Same result. Whether I go settings--->General---> Workout Power Saving Mode or Settings---->Workout---> Power Saving Mode, the metric "Heart Rate" is greyed out in my Outdoor Run Multiple Metrics settings.....

Joemmello

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
Power Saving Mode from the Workout App setting in phone watch app. Wasn't even aware of the global Power Save Mode until you said that and I looked it up on the watch. Same result. Whether I go settings--->General---> Workout Power Saving Mode or Settings---->Workout---> Power Saving Mode, the metric "Heart Rate" is greyed out in my Outdoor Run Multiple Metrics settings.....
has this been discussed since? I started using a Scosche Rythym+ today in hopes of extending AW2 power during runs of 5+ hours. In 'Workout' - 'Outdoor Run' The HR metric does not show, as quoted by previous post. The data is captured though, if i complete a run workout and go to iPhone, Activity, click into the workout there is an 'Avg Heart Rate' calculated, and under 'Heart Rate' there is the data points plotted over time as expected. Also, I can see the data points in Health -> Heart Rate -> Show All Data. There is data recorded with Bluetooth symbol and clicking into that data point shows the device that captured it was the paired Scosche Rythym+.

Seems to be a problem with the Apple Workout app, it doesnt show the metric, despite it being captured as expected.