Power saving mode

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ultra AleM, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello, guys. I was just wondering: why doesn't Apple introduce a power saving mode on iPhone? On my cousin's Galaxy S5 it is absolutely gorgeous (up to 12 days of battery life with one charge). Thanks a lot...

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

One of my interns at work showed me this feature just last week. Basically he can't accept calls, text, get notifications, surf the web, or do anything really. It steps the processor down so low that even navigating the interface can be a chore because it becomes so laggy. Apple would never introduce a feature like that. In the real world you would never do this. You might as well turn your phone off if you want to preserve the charge for emergency use, as the phone being off is nearly as useful as the low power mode that I was shown. Who cares about 12 days of battery if your phone is essentially a brick? Apple already implements many power saving features, which is why their phone with a smaller battery can at least compete with Android phones that always had massive batteries. However, I do wish Apple would stop making phones thinner and improve battery life even more.

3. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

That's not true. You can make calls, receive messages, even connect to 4G and use some apps (you can choose 3-4 apps). The point is: when you're in trouble with just 10% of battery, this feature can really save you. Hours of usage with just 10% of battery. Obviously not a full usage, but still a useful one (connectivity, calls and messages, chosen apps...).

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Well whatever he was showing me completely shut out most of the functionality. He called it low power mode and he does have that phone, but perhaps it was modded. He is a bit of a tinkerer.

5. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Yeah, maybe his software's different. Anyways, I think it's a pretty useful feature, especially when you're in trouble with a little charge left.

6. Maximeed69 macrumors member

Its called the Ultra power saving mode , it disable everything on your phone so you can only text , call , whatsapp ( you can only choose around 3 apps and not anything , just some that the system choose for you ) and the most annoying thing the phone turns completely black & white and so damn laggy wich is in my opinion " unusable " . already got some power saving features on their system also the coprocessor is helping a lot as we can see with a 1810mah from an iphone 6 we can get better battery life than the galaxy s5's 2800mah ...( this is from my own experience because i used both phones ) and now im still using my i6 and enjoying it a lot than the galaxy s5 i've had before , imo no need such a thing :)'

7. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Based on my experience, the Galaxy S5 has a better battery life than iPhone 6's one.

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Wrong, power saver mode basically turns your device to a dumb phone allowing you to make and receive calls and text. Stop spreading misinformation.

9. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I really hope Apple will introduce something similar in iOS 9.

10. Maximeed69 macrumors member

Lets just hope for more stability and better battery life , making new features can be a cause for the OS to be a fail like what happened when first iOS 8 released . Rumours saying that  is focusing more on stability improvement on their new iOS 9

11. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Sure, but if they don't add new features they will lag behind the competition...

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah because I'm spreading misinformation on purpose. Seriously, he showed it shutting down everything with the flip of a switch. Read my previous post where I said that he likes to tinker so maybe it was something else. He also talked about overclocking and adjusting the voltages of the CPU and RAM. I used to do that stuff back in the day on gaming PCs and it was built-into the BIOS on the Asus and Gigabyte motherboards I would buy. Considering how nerdtastic Android is, I wouldn't be surprised to see such modifying functionality come built-in on certain devices. I just know what he showed me and it definitely did that. Either way Apple will never do this so it's a moot point.

13. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

14. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

this feature on iOS wouldn't even work that well, since making everything black and white wouldn't do anything. The reason it helps on the S5 is that it uses an AMOLED display which actually shuts off individual pixels when they are black. The iPhone uses an LCD display which always has the pixels on, just with a backlight shining through them.

For iOS it would need to make the phone even dumber than the Ultra Power Saving Mode of the S5 and turn the brightness the lowest it goes, if we wanted even somewhat similar results.

If Apple made a feature like this it would be exclusive to newer iPhones that have an AMOLED display. I wouldn't want an AMOLED display, though. They often are too saturated, and aren't as realistic. Doesn't mean that they can't be realistic, but they would just need to be calibrated very, very, well. And most of all, AMOLED displays can have screen burn-in, where LCDs generally don't suffer this problem. Really don't want to have to deal with having my older iPhones always having a keyboard burned into the screen or something.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely. I think they are getting so thin that we will have more issues with the glass breaking. I'd much rather have more battery life than a thinner phone.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

iPhone's power saving mode is having the phone locked.

17. sk24iam macrumors regular

Is he using his phone at all within those 12 days? If so, is he using data or making calls?

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Considering we don't live on a deserted island I don't see a need for a power saving mode when a charger is always within reach.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Because turning your phone into a useless peice of **** makes the battery worthless.

20. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Yes, the phone can receive and make calls, use 3-5 apps with full connectivity and other features. Not much, but it's so useful when your don't have a charger.

21. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

I've never fully understood how these features are that useful.

If your battery is really low and you want it to last as long as possible, surely you can just use your phone less? Which seems to be all these power saving modes force you to do?

Maybe it's more useful on Android where apps can run more freely as background services? And so these power saving modes stop that.

I know iOS has background app refresh but it's more restricted and controlled. In fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if BAR was deactivated, or at least apps allowed to refresh much less frequently, when battery is critically low.

It doesn't make sense to stop connectivity of all apps except a few you select. Either you NEED to use those apps when your battery is critically low, and so should be allowed, or you don't need to, so you don't use them. And as far as things being pushed to apps, draining battery, that is over the single connection to the APNS servers which all apps' notifications go through so eh...

22. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

If :apple: do this, then I hope that it is done just right. Instead of doing what other phones do, instead it could just reduce everything that takes up battery (CPU, GPU, brightness, Wi-Fi, Cellular, Bluetooth, Notification fetch, etc.) by a small amount. For instance, reducing all those things by 20% would increase battery life by 25%. That's nearly 3 hours extra on an iPhone 6.

23. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Newer AMOLED displays don't really have that burn in problem anymore. The early ones did and it was awful, but I still have my old Galaxy S3 and it doesn't have any screen burn in.

As for the saturation levels, that's personal preference. Personally I love the saturated colours AMOLED displays use. If I was doing something that required perfect colour accuracy I wouldn't be using my iPhone anyway. I'd be using my calibrated external monitor and my Mac.

24. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM