Power Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spookster831, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Spookster831 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Every time I shut the screen on my macbook it seems to go into a sleep mode and disconnects from the internet. I want to shut the screen and have it still connected to the net (because I want to download stuff). I have looked in power settings but I can't see how to do this.

Thanks!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

InsomniaX has long been an important tool for doing this, but Andrew has had a difficult time keeping up with changes to Apple's OS as they have been reluctant the info he needs. But it looks like he's got a beta working for Leopard that's almost, but not quite 100% functional. Might want to give it a try.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Not a good idea as the airflow for cooling is pulled in through the keyboard. Don't run anything too intensive while the lid is closed ;)

4. Spookster831 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I leave it slightly open will the hard disks ever shut off? If I tell the computer to never sleep if it is inactive? And what if just the display sleeps, does that make it disconnect from the net?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

AFAIK, there is little-to-no air intake through the keyboard in the MacBooks. Which is why Apple supports operation in closed-lid mode when connected to an external display, keyboard, and mouse.

It was the iBooks that drew air in through the keyboard. Which is why Apple didn't support closed-lid mode on them.

I wouldn't worry about overheating on the MacBook while running it with the lid closed.

If you want to leave it open, you can configure your Energy Saver settings to turn off the display and to not turn off the hard drive if you want it to remain active.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Really, hmm. When the fan is running hard I'm sure I can feel a suction just above the keys. Maybe it's being sucked in somewhere else primarily though.