Power Socket Came Loose From Logic Board...Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astewes, May 7, 2008.

1. astewes macrumors newbie

When attempting to replace the hard drive on my 12" Powerbook G4, I accidentally removed the power socket from the logic board. I was following the removal directions provided by the following web site:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Pow...ard-Drive-Replacement/53/11/Page-6/Upper-Case

The step contained in this link says to definitely be wary of not letting the socket come loose from the logic board, and I'm wondering what my options are. I'm "hoping" that there is some way that the power socket can be reattached to the logic board, but this is most definitely not my expertise. I really can't afford to buy a new computer now, just ordered this new hard drive, and it kills me to think that this could all be for nothing!

Thoughts?

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Pins and socket... or just socket

I have performed that upgrade using that exact site.

Did the pins come off the logic board or just the plastic insulator (socket) that contains the pins ?

If the pins are still fastened to the board, I would just put the socket back around the pins and plug the connector in when it is time to put the machine together.

3. astewes thread starter macrumors newbie

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

do you know how to solder and have a good soldering iron? ;)

i know someone who did the same thing to a ibook. We ended up replacing the logic board.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

off topic but im sure glad they made the MBP much easier to get into than that

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Soldering on a multilayer logic board is a high risk endeavour. Plan on a new logic board.