Power source: power adapter even when running on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superczar, Nov 13, 2008.

1. superczar macrumors newbie

I just received my new Unibody Macbook
    After plugging it in for an hour, and the battery at approx 85%, I disconnected the charger

The battery indicator icon switched from the plugged and charging icon
    (lightning bolt) to the regular discharging battery icon for a few seconds and then switched to the AC mode icon (Power plug icon + battery not charging message)

The battery icon dropdown shows the power source as power adapter even when it is not plugged

When I reconnect the AC charger, the battery starts charging again (which is fine) - (Power source: power adapter)

but when I disconnect, it switches to the regular icon (expected) for only a few seconds (power source reads as battery)

and then in switches to this weird battery not charging + power plug icon mode after that
    (power source reads as power adapter even though the adapter is disconnected)

Obviously, in this mode, it does not show the remaining battery time either since it seems the computer is assuming it is plugged into ac but the battery is not charging

I have not tested the battery life as yet, but I suspect it will be quite low as the battery saving features would not be enabled on a computer that assumes it is on AC even when running on battery

Anything short of a replacement?

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

3. superczar thread starter macrumors newbie

Full charge: Tried already
    SMC reset: tried already

funny thing is it seems like a software/firmware glitch isnce the notebook does realize that the adapter has been disconnected (It switches to battery mode for a few seconds)

Even tried an OS reinstall- even during the installation, disconnecting the adapter causes the same behavior...firmware glitch perhaps- who knows

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You have done enough diagnosis already. It's a new laptop, call Apple care for help.