Power supple!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cardenj12, Jul 8, 2007.

1. cardenj12 macrumors newbie

Can anyone help?
    My G5 power mac with the quad processor broke down the other day. Took it to a mac approved shop called farpoint, and at the moment they are saying it is the power supple gone. Problem is i think they could be ripping me off apparently for a new part it will cost £100/$200 and they say it is tricky to put in and can take over an hour. Charging me £70/$140 per hour!

I have a friend who builds computers and he seems to think that is too expensive and he could do it in 30 minutes. What would you do pay a lot of money or get someone else to do it?

john

oh also does have a g5 so they can see what the product number is for a new power supple i want to check how much they are to buy?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's probably not a standard ATX Power Supply. It's almost certainly a custom Apple one that you can only buy from Apple. If this is the case then it'll be almost impossible to get a price: they will only sell to authorised repairers and the pricelist won't be public.

On the 1 hour labour = £70: that's ridiculous!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Power supple!!!

It's good to be flexible... ;)

Your friend doesn't know squat about Macs. Sorry.

You are tied to the genuine Apple replacement part - there is supposed to be a pricelist from Apple that sets the price. Dealers may sell for more or less. Go and shop for another independent Apple Authorized dealer to get a quote on the replacement.

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

70 pounds an hour thats a rip, try get the part if you can then get some one else to fit it, if possible

5. cardenj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

They have my mac how would i know what is a specialized power supply and what isn't. Oh and my mate builds computers and has said he has put parts in macs before, problem is if i take the mac back and he trys to do it and can't due to the part...i'll have to take it back to the shop. It is the closest one to where i live and there are not many within a hours drive!

I'm basically stuck in a position of what do i do, and i can't afford £350 to fix it but i need my mac!!!

thanks for the reply john

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Read the posts, John. The power supply IS a specialized one, and it is ONLY available through an Apple Authorized service provider.

Your friend is talking from ignorance and overconfidence. I would not trust him with your Mac. A power supply is not like putting a hard drive in. It's possible that with care and attention that he could do it. But the fact that he DOESN'T know it;s not a standard issue power supply indicates that he has never worked at that level on Macs before.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've found a picture of one, along with a USD price. Not all G5s use the same supply. This is from the last G5s.

Anyway here it is at $425.

As someone who has built many a standard PC I can tell you that is a unique design. You will not be able to get this part from anywhere but Apple.

8. cardenj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks for your help, and that one is not cheap i can see. And from what you are saying i couldn't order that so it looks like my baby will be costing me a lot of money for something quite minor!!!

john