Power supply/batter help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mmmorgan20, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mmmorgan20 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac so I have no idea what's going on.

Every time I unplug my MacBook, it turns off like there's no power. My batter is 100% charged.

Is there something I can reset or do in Disk Utility?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

When you plug it back in, does the MacBook come back to where you had it, or does it have to boot back up into OSX?

I would reset your SMU, which use the to the PMU (Power Management Unit) in older Macs. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

MacBook, MacBook Pro
    1) If the computer is on, turn it off.

2) Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.

3) Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.

4) Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.

5) Press the Power button to restart the computer.

3. mmmorgan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I unplug my computer from the power supply and then plug it back in, it re boots.

I'm going to try resetting the SMU and see if that works...

4. mmmorgan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I think its a hardware issue. But if you haven't try already, reseating the battery by taking it out and putting it back in. If that doesn't work I would look into having Apple replace the battery, and if that doesn't solve it, then they might need to service the computer. Bad power connector or something. If you call Apple, they will probably send you a battery if you can give them the idea that it might be the problem, and when you get it you can see if it works. And if it doesn't, you can escalate the issue and send you Mac in for repair. That is if you still have AppleCare on the Mac.

6. mmmorgan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up just taking it to the Apple store and they figured out it was the actual battery that wasn't holding a charge. So, I got a new battery free of charge. YAY! I'm back in service.

Thanks for all your help.