Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Before I begin, I did try to Mroogle this issue, but it seems there is a unique example for each thread result.

Therefore, I digress... I just picked up an 8-core 2010 Mac Pro. Everything on the machine is fine, except this buzzing noise coming exclusively from the power supply. It sounds like a fly hovering next to your ear, if you will.

I have tried different outlets, and I have also tried the Mac Pro without the surge protector. The strange thing is that after a short period of time powered off and then back on again, the buzzing noise is non-existent. It is only a few minutes after logging back into Snow Leopard does the noise come back. Mind you the system is idle, nothing is running.

I originally purchase an i7 iMac, but decided that I need a Mac Pro for its expandability.

I am very familiar with the technical support process at Apple Retail and Apple Corporate (800 phone number for Apple Care). I have 5 Mac Pro's and anytime there has been a problem I have had to tell the Apple Geniuses where to look and how to fix it. I think once, I got a technician who was very intimate with the Mac Pro. I know Apple Care is going to run me in circles with the "try this, try that" method. I am convinced there is something going on in the power supply, but it take me 35 minutes to drive all the way to the Apple Retail Store and on top of everything I have to disassemble my office to get the Mac Pro boxed back up. I thought I remember somewhere on these forums that there was a way to get an Apple technician to come to your house, is this true? Do you think if I go to the Apple Store and request a return, they would honor it? My biggest gripe is going to be if I have to take it in there and they want to keep it.

Thanks,

Desmo

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
To my knowledge, the Apple Stores themselves won't send techs out to the house, but some AASPs (Apple Authorized Service Providers) will. The best thing to do is to call AppleCare's number and ask them if there's an AASP in your area that will make house calls. I've been able to do this in the past in both the LA and Phoenix metro areas where like in your situation, it would otherwise be a huge hassle to dismantle part of my office to lug a repair in.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Although you may have seen my earlier posts in your mroogle search, I can tell you my experience with the same issue. I called Applecare and they recommended taking it in. Brought it to the Apple Store, they took it with little question or hesitation and ordered a new PSU and installed it. Brought it on a Friday, got it back Tuesday I think. Buzzing is now gone (well, mostly...it's less noisy than other electronic equipment I have so I consider it fixed).

You may be able to get them to order the PSU in advance so you don't have to wait. I know it's a pain to bring it in, but they can certainly fix the problem easily. FWIW they also mentioned it shouldn't cause any long term issues. I'd still think it's a good idea to get it taken care of while under warranty just in case.

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
My MacPro (2,1) has been like that since day one. Still running fine after all this time. I guess they still use the same PSU :)

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
I can hear mine buzzing if i put my ear to the the Mac but cant hear it while working.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Strange solution for my similar buzzing noise: I had a halogen light on a dimmer on the same electrical circuit as my Mac Pro. Every time it wasn't either off or 100% on (so when it was dimmed), I heard a very definite buzz. The light doesn't even have to be in the same room, just the same electrical circuit.

You could try unplugging everything in your home/apt and see if the buzzing continues... A lot easier to test than bringing your MP to Apple!

Loa

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Hello,

Strange solution for my similar buzzing noise: I had a halogen light on a dimmer on the same electrical circuit as my Mac Pro. Every time it wasn't either off or 100% on (so when it was dimmed), I heard a very definite buzz. The light doesn't even have to be in the same room, just the same electrical circuit.

You could try unplugging everything in your home/apt and see if the buzzing continues... A lot easier to test than bringing your MP to Apple!

Loa

Yes, do this first. I've read that others were this lucky and the problem wasn't inherent to the PSU. Unfortunately, after unplugging everything on the same circuit, my old buzzing didn't go away. But hopefully yours is a simple solution like this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.