Power supply compatibility question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Abidubi, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Will a 600W power supply from a June 2004 dual 1.8 G5 be compatible with a dual 2.3 early 2005 system (450W)? Are the connectors any different? Will a bigger power supply overload the system?

I know that the 600W June 04 power supply can be used with a dual 2.7 early 05 machine (600W) despite a rubber grommet that the 04 doesn't have.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

As for the difference in power, no, it won't hurt anything.

The connectors usually would, but I'm not sure. It's Apple after all, and they tend to change things from spec. (It may have a different pin out).

I wish I could offer more solid info. :eek:

3. Abidubi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the insight. I was mostly worried about the power difference, but I'm now at least reassured about that part. Anyone else know if the connectors are compatible? I wouldn't think it would be different as it was a very similar motherboard, both with PCI and AGP ports, both with the single core chips, both with same memory and everything else.

And lol, I can't believe a mod deleted my post. I was being sarcastic. I even wrote that I was joking... albeit in white text, but I would have pointed it out if someone seemed offended.

Yeesh, mods around here can't take a joke.

4. rylin macrumors 6502

I, too, like to rant about non-related things.
    I mean; it's not like anyone knows what you're talking about or anything.