Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I am requesting some help with regard to the replacement of my power supply fans on a Dual 2.0GHz G5 to a more quieter and better-made version. Currently these fans are the only noisy ones in the unit, and I would like to replace them myself as Apple will not. I currently am in posession of a pair of high-quality fans which run very quiet and still privde enough airflow; all I need is the how-to information.

I would like to know if there is information with regard to this somewhere on the web, as well as the availability of the fan recalibration software.

I would much appreciate anyone with links and/or information on this to please respond and post your findings here.

Thanks in advance!

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
bringing this thread...

back from the dead...

Any feedback?? ..as my right PSU fan is purring like a cat on acid...

a very BIG cat.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Exellent analogy - that cat on acid!

Sooner or later, we'll all need to replace these fans for one reason or another. Unfortunately, it requires a special calibration disc because the microprocessor heat sinks must be removed; I haven't heard a thing on this anywhere as of yet.

If you've got any warranty remaining or have AppleCare, let me know what they'll do for you.

Hopefully, Apple will become less posessive of this calibration software as we move into the post-G5 era...

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
I have a copy of this software as I demanded it from Apple after having 2 motherboard, 3 PSU and 2 CPU replacements.

I'm on holidays at the moment but can upload it when I get back home on Wednesday.

Matt

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
personally...I think its the ball bearing mechanism (hopefully, there IS one) in the right PSU fan. When I put light pressure in the center of the fan when it's turning (with a paper clip) the sound subsides for a while, then with no warning (or no intensive heat or CPU use that is) it comes back with a vengence. I DO have AppleCare, but I JUST GOT THE THING!! I'm not looking forward to boxing this thing up and lugging it through the NYC subway to Tekserve or something..or WORSE...to a Fedex or UPS store to ship to Apple Depot in TX.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
zoetropeuk said:
I have a copy of this software as I demanded it from Apple after having 2 motherboard, 3 PSU and 2 CPU replacements.

I'm on holidays at the moment but can upload it when I get back home on Wednesday.

Matt

That would be great. I definitely would not mind taking this thing completely apart (as to remove the PSU, I'll be force to!) if I could save my self the headache by buying a $20 fan and replacing the thing at home. I'm AppleCare desktop certified, but no longer work for a authorized repair center, so I can't order any '661' or '922; parts.

I also believe (if I remember correctly) that the PSU is ONE PART with one part number...

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
solidbreakz said:
personally...I think its the ball bearing mechanism (hopefully, there IS one) in the right PSU fan. When I put light pressure in the center of the fan when it's turning (with a paper clip) the sound subsides for a while, then with no warning (or no intensive heat or CPU use that is) it comes back with a vengence.
Yep, that's what it is. These are 75-cent fans, have no ball bearings (they use the el-cheapo sleeved bearings), are not controlled by the CPU, and make all of the racket.

I'd be interested as well in the uploaded software, as well as some basic instructions on how-to...

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
zoetropeuk said:

Matt

... :)

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
zoetropeuk said:

Matt

um... it's Friday now. Software please? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.