Power supply for 1.2GHz iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bjohnson33, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

A friend of mine needs a new power supply for her 1.2GHz iBook. I found this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/for-Apple-Mac-iB...rkparms=65:12|66:4|39:1|72:1301|293:1|294:200

Just wondering if this would be compatible? I want to be 100% sure and I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller. My confusion is with which iBooks need a 45W power supply and which need 65W.

While we're on the topic, has anybody had any negative experiences with these non-Apple adapters? I've been using one on my old Powerbook just fine. The original Apple ones cost €79, which is more than my friend wanted to pay.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IIRC, iBooks shipped with 45W units while PowerBooks shipped with 65W units. In the case of Apple Brand chargers, the 65W units are dual-mode, so they can output 45W or 65W.

I'm not sure if the 3rd part knockoffs hold to this same standard.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think the higher powered PB G4s shipped with the 65w and 14" iBooks. My 12" PB came with a 45w charger.

I think you can find cheaper OEM chargers for cheap. Although the 3rd party adapters are fine. I like the OEM ones for pretty much aesthetic reasons. I've use all of them and they are pretty much the same. Just the non-OEM ones don't have the light in the plugs indicating either charging or charged(orange or green light). The 65w can be used without any problems, it just charges the battery quicker :p. I use both on my PB, like to keep one plugged in the bedroom and the other in the living room.

4. cheeryble macrumors regular

Brian

I'd buy that it's not a lousy direct copy as rife on eBay at about $13 US....I got one sent here to Thailand and it was dud.

The one you show is more like the Macwizards one which is about $36 US. In fact I think I'll order one if the posting's reasonable I want to give my old iBook as a birthday present and it needs the charger.

The original Apple item is also lousy the low voltage lead shorts just as has now been acknowledged as common on the newer Magsafe type. That's exactly why I need one.
    Dissappointed Apple didn't bother to improve anywhere near radically enough and still have the nerve to ask 3850bt ($115 US) here in Chiangmai, meaning you pay triple for a very potential dud. What a liberty. The Apple store here had obviously had lots given back.

good luck Cheeryble

5. Bjohnson33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help everyone! After a bit of Googling, I found that the iBook actually requires less than 45W of power, so the charger just reduces the wattage into the computer. If you use a 65W one, it does the same - steps it down to whatever the computer actually needs. I didn't realize that's how it worked - both are more than is necessary, and both adjust accordingly. I bought the one I had linked to on eBay and am pretty sure it'll be just fine.

Thanks again - I knew this would be the perfect place to get an answer!