Power Supply Issues - AppleCare can't diagnose

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by akbaker, Apr 28, 2010.

1. akbaker macrumors newbie

I am new to this forum, but I am hoping one of you experts can help figure out what my problem is, since I've sent it in to Apple for repairs twice with no solution.

My issue is that my battery is not charging and once it's out of power, the whole computer goes to sleep/shuts down and won't turn on.

When I called AppleCare the first time they replaced the power cord, but that didn't help. So when I talked to them the second time, I sent it in and they replaced the Logic board and the top case, but the same thing happened a week later. So I called them a third time and sent it in and they replaced the Connector (item 631-0557).

I just got it back today and it seems to have the same issue. The power cord is plugged in, but the light isn't on. The battery was 88% full when they sent it to me, but it keeps depleting and is not charging when plugged in.

Here are the stats from the Power section of my system info. I have the 13" white MacBook and it's still under AppleCare. Do you have any idea what the problem could be? It doesn't seem like Apple can figure it out.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: DP-ASMB016-3867-83a5
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: ASMB016
    Pack Lot Code: 0003
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0102
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4026
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4724
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 276
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -936
    Voltage (mV): 12050

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
    Charging: No

2. akbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset SMC

Yeah, I've already tried resetting the SMC and that doesn't fix it.

I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should have them look into? The computer does not even recognize the power cord - it's not charging at all. And they have already replaced:

Power Cord
    Connector
    Logic Board
    Top Case

They swear the battery looks fine - should I be more insistent that they try replacing it?

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Are we talking unibody macbook, or older? Can the battery be removed?

4. akbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery can be removed. It's a 2008 MacBook.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You said they replaced the cord, do you mean the entire power adapter, (cord, power brick, duck head)? If not the entire power adapter, then maybe another part of it is bad?

Assuming you're correct and the battery is bad, wouldn't it work with the power adapter connected and the battery removed?

Have you tried creating a new user account to see if it rules out something software related?

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test to see if it finds anything?

Wish I had something else to add to this but other than the above I'm coming up blank.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Seeing how this is your 4th trip in for this problem, if it were me, I'd ask about whether or not they should just replace your MacBook as it's just not acceptable to keep bringing it in over and over for the same problem. If your firm but calm, you may get a new MacBook. You may want to start with a Genius and move to a Manager from there. Remember to treat them with respect and they will in turn try to solve the problem for you.

7. akbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually no, when they replaced the power cord, it was the cord and magnet connector but did not include the brick and plug that goes into the wall. I will definitely have them check that part when I go in tomorrow.

I'm not familiar with the Hardware test. Where can I find that?

8. akbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, GfulDedFan. I was wondering if that might be an option. I just want this fixed.

Now if I could just get my TimeMachine to work, I wouldn't even mind doing that. Where should I go on this forum for help with TimeMachine? (It gives an error message and won't open)

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Id put money its the power brick. Anything else would have been caught by now. Hopefully the faulty power brick hasnt damaged anything else, again.

11. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You probably should start a new thread in This Forum Section - Mac Software. Although several MacBook posters use and know Time Machine, this section is more of a hardware thing. Another thing to try would be MRoogling something like Time Machine Error and see if your question has already been asked and answered. Follow the link for MRoogle in my signature.

12. akbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I went to the Mac store and they replaced my whole power cord and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks for your help everyone.

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that Apple was able to take care of that for you. :)

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's good that they found the issue but it shouldn't have taken that long. The way they handled the problem was not efficient. I don't know why they didn't change/try a new MagSafe adaptor instead of just the MagSafe cable, that didn't make any sense to me. If they tried a brand new MagSafe, the problem would've been caught and fixed in a day rather then having OP send his computer in for multiple repairs.

But again, nice to see you have a working computer again.