Power Supply Query

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rieg77, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. rieg77 macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2008
    Hi all

    I'm just about to take the plunge and get a Mac Mini and I'm wondering if I can buy a US Mac Mini for use predominantly in the UK.

    The things I'm concerned with are whether I'll need a special power converter (and where i can get it from), as well as OS X locations which will impact keyboard layout, dvd playback etc.

    Can anyone let me know if I'll be ok and/or what I might need to buy or change to make it workable.

    Please excuse any stupid questions I may have asked, I'm new to the Mac world and am looking for advice from those with experience.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    The Mac mini is designed to work on 100-240V AC. You might need to get a different cord that connects from the wall outlet to the power adapter though. :eek:

    It's going to be a ground three prong plug for the US model. There's probably an adapter for the plug instead of getting a new cord.

  3. tefleming macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2006
    No, the power adapter that comes with it is 240V capable (just need the $3 plug adapter).

    don't know

    should work fine, you can change the dvd region (and would be prompted to do so when you insert a non-Region 1 DVD.

  4. nazuk macrumors 6502


    Dec 5, 2007
    England, UK
    I've already done all this with a Mac Mini and an iBook. Simple really, go to Walmart, or wherever - buy a UK Travel ADAPTER - no need for converter. No need for special cord or anything. The voltage auto adjusts, and guess what... it just works. :D

    As for the keyboard and stuff, I think the only 'problem' I can see is the Dollar symbol will be on the keyboard, but from experience, you can insert a (GBP) symbol. You could always buy just the keyboard from here in the UK. Also, you need to change the language as mentioned above to UK English.

    Go ahead and do it, you'll save yourself a fortune!

Share This Page