power supply question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rock909, Aug 13, 2008.

1. rock909 macrumors newbie

Hi all I have the 2.66 quad mac pro (early 08). I have a 8800 GTS in my pc i want to swap but i see the power cable is totally different connecting to the motherboard than my pc. My theory is can I put my 850Watt Power supply in the mac pro so i can connect my 8800 gts (keep in mind i am only running windows not mac OSx)

thanks!

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

So are you asking if you can replace your Mac Pro's power supply with a generic 850W power supply? Good luck. You'd probably be better off buying or making a special power cable for the 8800 GTS. :)

3. rock909 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, I will invest in that power cable then. Are there any resources as to how to make it? (Sorry if this is on the forums didn't see a link)

4. moalbaker macrumors newbie

rock909. what happened to the power supply?

im really interested.

let me know please.
    thank you

5. rock909 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I know it CAN be done because I have seen pics, I am going to prolly rip it apart soon and see what I can find, i know it has to be possible...

6. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I don't know of any resources of the top of my head, but my guess would be to purchase a power cable that's compatible with the MP power supply, an 8800 GTS power cable, then splice and solder them together.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If the board your trying to install into the MacPro has the standard Hard-disc like Molex (like those on Hard Drives), then why not buy a couple standard Y-Splitters and take the power from the second DVD bay? There's a spare socket there for additional optical devices, though you'd need to manually route the cable to the cards.