Power Support Ant-Glare film is Released!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chaos123x, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I know lot's of people were waiting to get the Power Support version of the Anti-Glare Screen film, because they loved their iPhone versions so much.

Well just went to their site and there it was on sale!

it's $34.95 for the 13inch and 15inch Pro.

So is better than the other options? Was it worth the wait?

Either way it's a good choice for Matte screen lovers wanting to upgrade to the newest mac laptops.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/macbook-antiglare.php

2. revoked macrumors newbie

If it's anything like the iPhone's (which I'm sure it is, exactly) I'd pass.
    The iPhone one is great because it keeps fingerprints off the screen and makes it easier to swipe, but the colors get... 'fuzzier'

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I'm not optimistic about such a solution. The film will exist at some distance from the actual screen (due to the thickness of the glass), so I can't image the screen will be perfectly sharp with one of these films installed.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, not interested. The color of the monitor wipes out any glare. The film just makes the picture fuzzy.

5. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I am interested, if anyone ends up ordering one, some pictures would be great.

6. Lartymarf macrumors regular

Way fuzzy. Had the matte version on my iPhone for a few days,
    then tossed it and went with the glossy. Much sharper.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wipes out "any" glare? Have you used one of these new glass displays before? OK, the brightness does make it better than it could be, but there's plenty o' glare left. I think the glass is made from alien material that picks up any and all light.

8. treetop682 macrumors newbie

Coming in the mail

This sucker is on its way via UPS. As soon as it arrives, I'll write a review.

9. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Wicked, thanks.

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Same here looking forward to it. I hope its much better then the Photodon one.

11. Chaos123x thread starter macrumors 68000

Sweet can't wait to the reviews start rolling in. I have the antiglare for my iPhone and I love it.

12. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Photodon one

OK, I got the photodon one in the mail this evening. The color fuzziness thing is already bothering me to no end. Any lighter colors appear slightly dithered. White is no longer white. It's speckled. I'm not sure whether or not I could capture this in pictures. Darker scenes appear fine.

I'm going to give this about a day and see if it's tolerable, i.e. if my eyes/visual system adjust appropriately.

Installation was a PITA and involved my kitchen (the clean room), tape, a plastic card, and a lot of swearing.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the PowerSupport site says:
    "The Anti-glare film does not have negative impacts on the visual output of the LCD screen"

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

It may then well be worth the premium on the price. I might have to go back to Power Support. Been using them since my PowerBook 12" with great success.

15. Chaos123x thread starter macrumors 68000

Is the Photodon one really that bad?

16. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Since I don't think I could capture the difference very accurately with the camera, here's an approximation rendering of the image quality (I do have to say it's not *quite* that dark but the effect is still visible):

Attached Files:

17. treetop682 macrumors newbie

My review will have to wait

So I have the power support film in, but my laptop is going to the shop tomorrow (overheating, SuperDrive continually trying to eject an imaginary disk, not responding from sleep). I don't want to put the film on a laptop I might not have in a week. As soon as issues are resolved from the hardware end, I'll give the film a try. Sorry. I hope someone else out there puts up a good review sooner. :confused: and :(

18. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

19. treetop682 macrumors newbie

20. kolax macrumors G3

I'm thinking about ordering, and would love to hear reviews.

As good as glossy looks, I just can't use it near a window.

21. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I don't personally find the glare/glass display all that bad, but i'm interested to see a full writeup/review on one of these films. If they can reduce glare without making things fuzzy, id certainly buy one. (I have one of these films on my iphone to reduce finger prints, but I do have to admit the picture does come across a little fuzzier)

22. kolax macrumors G3

Matte screens tend to be a bit fuzzy compared to glossy anyway.

23. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

I have a ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector for my MacBook. It works great but I just found out that they just started making them specifically for the new Unibody MacBook. I guess I can live with mine but I would love to have it extend to the edge of the screen so I may purchase one in the near future. See www.buyviewguard.com and click on Made for MacBook on the side.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That looks terrible! I hope the PowerSupport film isn't as bad.

25. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

Below is an online review on Dell's website of a user with a Dell Truelife Gloss display. The reviews are positive and include 3 pictures with the ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector attached on the right and the glossy screen on the left without the anti-glare screen protector. The pictures are very telling.

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000000789AAA&p=11