Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
iPhone comes tommrow and i can't decide which screen protector to buy....:confused:

which one is better? pros..cons...?

Power Support Anti-Glare Film vs. Power Support Crystal Film

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
anti glare slightly dims your screen, but honestly its no big deal (to me anyways) no finger print smudges, it feels really nice to have your fingers glide over it

i never use the crystal film one, but id say go with anti glare

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
i have a crystal, its amazing.. you dont even notice it and it doesnt blur the screen like the anti-glare, guess it depends on where your going to use the phone the most.. in direct sunlight or not. i dont mind the small glare i get.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I've tried both and I've gone without one (3G and 3GS new screen coating). The naked 3GS screen is the best but I don't feel it is as durable as the 3G screen was. (just my opinion) I keep going back to the Power Support Anti-Glare. As was said above it has a nice feel and finger glides smoothly over it. If you want to try a cheaper version go to monoprice.com. I have tried their antiglare is is just as good as power support. The only problem is it will not work with cases that cover the bezel completely. (incase slider)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Here's a comparison (larger so you can see more):

Personally, I prefer the PowerSupport Privacy film. Stops all those lame folks peeking over my damn shoulder!! It's rude!

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
have they updated these? i've looked at you tube videos and it seems near the home button and the bottom the film isnt a perfect fit........

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Yeah I just put a new one on my 3GS (it was replaced due to a faulty battery) and it fit great. Seems to be easier to install if line it up by the home button and not the earpiece hole.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Go for the anti Glare

The anti Glare definitely. That is my opinion, it is so smooth for your fingers on the screen when swiping in any direction. Also There is never fingerprints. Really works for what it's meant for. Test it out, If you don't like it. Just simply get another one of your choice.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
ive used both...had the crystal first, anti glare second...

if you live anywhere with alot of sun, get the anti glare...no finger prints is a huge plus..

the crystal is nice and clear, can hardly tell its even there...but it gets blurry quick cause of the finger prints...and if you in a well lit area, the crystal has SOO much glare its almost unbearable. Add that to the finger prints and to me it was a NO brainer....anti glare all the way..

Also, the pic above it kinda off...my PS anti glare looks NOTHING that blurry...its a tad softer then the crystal, but not as bad as pictured above...is that attached to the phone or you just holding it up with the backing still on it?

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I have the crystal one and I'm very happy with it. I love being able to rub and clean the screen off on my jeans and not worry about scratching anything. It doesn't seem to attract anymore glare than the screen naked. But then again I havent used the anti-glare to compare

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've used both and loved both. I can't really say which I prefer but I'll tell you one thing - they're both much nicer than the Invisible Shield screen protector.

I think you're pretty safe getting either one.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
OP: i have the crystal and love it! i had a cheaper version and it had the rainbow effect... ick!

as for the anti-glare.... after seeing the comparison pics above, it would really bother me to lose that much clarity!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Anti-glare:

- looks and feels nice indoors
- keeps the fingerprints away
- really washed out the screen in sunlight though, I had serious trouble using it outdoors
- awful, AWFUL moire pattern over the screen, especially in areas of plan white like on, oh say, a website... photos looked awful, all noisy and gross

I had to remove it after about a week because it was just so damned annoying looking at the distortion all the time. After a week with it on it was like I was seeing the screen for the very first time when I took it off.

Crystal:

- still get reflections, though I find reflections easier to deal with in sunlight that diffusion across the screen
- still get fingerprints
- no distortion of the image
- no drop in light transmission from the screen

I took the crystal one off after a few months because I kept snagging it on my case.

I just like the feel of the glass - it's different to what the crystal film feels like when you're browsing. Haven't used a screen protecter in months now. Hardly even use a case anymore for that matter.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I love the Power Support Anti-Glare film screen protector. For me, there is no moire pattern even when using Flashlight with an all white screen. It does not show finger prints and works great with indoor lighting or in direct sunlight.

I tried the Power Support Crystal film screen protector and it worked fine. But, as far as I am concerned, it offered no advantages over the Power Support Anti-Glare film screen protector.

S-

holyindian

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I have Power Support Anti-Glare, I did a lot of research on macrumors and various apple and iphone forums, and decided to settle down with this one cos of the good reviews.
This is serious stuff man, dont go for gloss and spark.. cos finally every time u see ur fone, the first thing that will come to ur mind is.. uhh crap.. and dirt, then u wil want to pick it up and then start rubbing all over with whatever u find to wipe off the dirt.
With the anti-glare film.. it not only looks decent also.. it manages to salvage the sophistication of the product by not letting dirt stick to it.
I have PS Anti-Glare for front, and Wrapsol for back.. trust me they are the best combination out there, any serious Iphone enthusiast will tell u this.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
both have their negatives...

I used the bodyguardz front shield for a while ( great scratch resistance, but fingerprints + tacky feel )

then switched to the power support crystal ( fingerprints + scratches show up)

Now I am using the power support anti-glare

I don't like how it washes out the screen

But I like the feel (it has the lowest friction surface that I've tested) and also how fingerprints/light scratches really don't show up

So in the end, the advantages of the Powert support anti-glare, far outweigh the negatives

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I tried another brand of privacy screen and it distorted the screen.

Is the Apple one any better?

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Used both, and now like the crystal better for clarity. and looks great.

but you get reflections so it's a priority thing. what's more important. since i clean my iphone screen often fingerprints not an issue and if you tilt the iphone it will reduce reflections.

AlvinDj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
PS Anti Glare is really one of the finest out there for iPhone screen protectors.

I'm currently using it as well and I'd say it's pretty fine although there are still finger print smudges after intensive gaming :D

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
in terms of protection...the anti glare is a tad thicker too, it almost feels like its 2 crystal films on top of each other.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
you cant really compare these 2 since they both offer different result aside from them protecting your screen from scratches..

anti-glare provides 4 functional results, prevent glares, no prints/smudges, glides easier and protects your screen from scratches.

crystal only provide 1, only to protect from scratches.

so its really up to you on how you use your phone or where you use your phone.

i personally have the anti-glare because it doesnt leave smudges/prints, its smoother than the crystal, and i can still see under the sun without me moving in weird angles to find the right spot.

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
you cant really compare these 2 since they both offer different result aside from them protecting your screen from scratches..

anti-glare provides 4 functional results, prevent glares, no prints/smudges, glides easier and protects your screen from scratches.

crystal only provide 1, only to protect from scratches.

so its really up to you on how you use your phone or where you use your phone.

i personally have the anti-glare because it doesnt leave smudges/prints, its smoother than the crystal, and i can still see under the sun without me moving in weird angles to find the right spot.

AGREE!
I used to use the crystal clear one (well im using SGP not the PS one but those two brands offer similar characters) and liked it very much over the anti-fingerprint one cuz af one was too blury for me.
But now, im with AF one and using it without any complain my eyes just got used to it!
hard to compare those two, each of those is so different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.