Power Support Anti Glare for iPhone 5...another winner.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mcdj, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Just a quick mini review of the latest PS anti glare film for the iPhone 5, which are trickling into Apple stores, even before being available directly from PS. I bought mine at the Apple store W 14th St in NYC.

Most things are pretty much unchanged from last year. Same price; $14.95 for 2 films. Same great quality, though maybe, just maybe, a slight increase in clarity. The film really does an amazing job of cutting glare while maintaining clarity. Same great tactile quality.

One thing I've noticed that Power Support has over every other protector I've tried is its smooth tactile quality. Your finger glides across the screen like an ice skater.

By comparsion, the generally well regarded Media Devil matte film, (which I had literally just put on yesterday before I discovered my local Apple store had the PS in stock) has a very chalky feel by comparison (not to mention CONSIDERABLY lower clarity).

The biggest difference between this year's 5 film and last year's 4S film is the new cutouts for not only the earpiece and FaceTime camera, but also for the proximity sensor AND the ambient light sensor, for a total of 4 holes at the top of the screen.

I have to say, I'm not crazy about the decision by PS to make these extra cutouts. The Media Devil film had the earpiece and camera cutouts only, and I had zero issues with auto brightness or Siri activation by proximity, despite those sensors being covered by a film with less clarity.

That is to say, I'm not sure the extra cutouts are even necessary. And the downside to having them is not just that they leave 2 more unprotected spots on the glass, but that those 2 spots are asymmetric and look odd, like water drops, or holes on the screen.

With the Media Devil film, the FaceTime and earpiece cutouts (now centered vs the 4S) kept the face of the phone clean and simple. The PS opts for zero sensor interference, at the cost of a slightly cluttered array of holes.

Still, it's not enough to consider reverting back to the inferior Media Devil film. The PS is superior in every other way.

2. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Any fingerprints on it? Also, does it come with a protector for the back?

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

It's no different than any matte protector I've used in terms of fingerprints. You don't see actual prints or smudges, you just get a sort of soft slightly shiny spot where you touch. Over time, it needs a wipe, but not nearly as often as naked.

No back protector. Power Support is all about Japanese precision. They are not going to make a single sheet of film to cover a back with 3 separate sections made out of two materials. There would be bubbles where the gaps are. And I have a hunch static films and aluminum are not an ideal match.

4. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

alright thank you :)

5. armixia macrumors newbie

clarity

How much is the loss in clarity would you say? Is it the same loss as the 4/4s Antiglare HD?

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

7. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Thanks for the awesome, in depth review :) I'm sad they chose to do four cut outs because doesn't that mean one hole goes unused on the white iPhone 5? I'm picking my phone up tomorrow and was wondering about this little detail. :/

8. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

Inferior media devil haha that is hilarious thanks for the laugh

9. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Do you work for media devil? Have you compared it to the power support? Did you wear your glasses when comparing or did you lose your glasses?

11. SmittS macrumors regular

I got Poetic AG films from Amazon, and they are pretty on-point with PS. I've been a PS AG guy since my iPhone 3G, and I'm impressed. It only has cutouts for speaker and camera, none for prox and light sensors.

12. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

u took all the time to write that and no pics? really?

13. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

pics of the 4 holes for the sensors? I'm sure you can imagine...

14. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

So there's one hole that is useless on the white iphone model?

15. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

im already imagining. but its hard. figured for a member since 2007, you'd know by now.

16. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Getting mine later tonight. iPhone 5 is arriving tomorrow morning!

17. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Cutout looks stupid imo.

Should give SGP's Ultra Optics a try. Seriously. Pretty much no clarity decrease (I don't see any anyways) with the anti-fingerprint qualities of a anti-glare protector.

18. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

Yes I have compared them and the fact that you think a anti glare screen shield is better than another anti glare screen protector especially since both have amazing clarity is beyond me so where are you seeing the difference in clarity and quality. I'm very intrigued to know where you are seeing it.

19. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

if you think all screen protectors are created equal then not much I can say to you is going to change that.

20. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I've used Power Support since the iPhone 3, and they are truly awesome. Nothing else I've seen and felt comes close at all.

Ordered today from the Apple Canada online store on a tip that they'd shown up for sale there.

I still know where the 3GS I sold long ago is... and it still has the flawless Power Support screen protector I put on it.

21. c2c macrumors member

I have pics here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16095714&postcount=80

The anti-glare does seem to have very good clarity, but I have not compared it to any other anti-glare on the market so I can't judge. At least you can compare anti-glare to crystal.

22. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Got mine today at the apple store. It looks very similar to the 4s anti glare film, I'll keep it on for a while. At least until I get tired of it and want to see the ultra sharp resolution of the retina display. So far I like it. It will look better after it has been on the glass for a while.

23. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

24. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Why?

25. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Ordered mine from Amazon.
    From a third-party and from Japan (suppose to be at least).
    No shipping, no tax - $21.99 - a two pack. A few bucks more, but with it getting here Monday, and gas over $4 in LA, it's okay.

Had PS on my 3 and 4 and have always loved it. Good clarity, no fingerprints, way less glare than naked. and cut correctly.

I am looking forward to the challenge of matching up so many holes, but look forward to doing away with smudges on the glass.