Power Support Crystal Film for iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SheryarYO, Jul 15, 2008.

1. SheryarYO macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience with the Power Support Crystal Film screen protector for the iPhone? I'm thinking about getting it for my iPhone. I ordered it yesterday and it should be here in 7-10 days, but I want to be prepared for when it does get here. So how is this screen protector. I've read that you don't really need a screen protector with the iPhone, but I want to get one just in case. I think I'm going to get either the Invisible shield or body skin for the back. I have one for my iPod Classic, but I don't really like the way it would feel for a touch screen phone (for the screen part anyway). I think it would be alright to have on the back of the phone. Thanks guys.

2. SheryarYO thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, can someone tell me how the screen protector feels compared to having no screen protector at all? Thanks.

3. weezite macrumors regular

I just ordered one yesterday as well, so I'm interested in knowing, too.

4. SheryarYO thread starter macrumors newbie

And one last question.....do they sell these at the Apple Store? I think I've read that they sell a pack of 2 for $15. Is this right?

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

The crystal seems to cause a bit more friction when flicking and pinching compared to the original glass. I didn't like it. The antiglare otoh, makes the finger tips glide across the screen effortless without leaving any smudges. The downside of course is the reduced clarity, but you get used to it after awhile. You may like it even better under bright lights.

6. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

I bought a set when i bought my iphone 3g.. i bought the anti-glare set. I absolutely love it. It feels really good provides great protection!. I had bubbles for like a day or two an they are all gone now. I would defiantly recommend these:apple::apple:

7. SAFC2403 macrumors member

I got one of these for the 1st iphone. Are the screen dimensions the same between both Iphones??

Sure i got 2 in the pack so may stick it on my new one(whenever that may be!!)

8. pj rage macrumors 6502

I've picked up this info while reading about these for the 3g. Can anyone who has experience comment on them, either to confirm them or deny?

-The old power support crystal film was awesome, but the new stuff for the 3g isn't as good.
    -The power support crystal film for 3g is thicker than the 2g film, and not in a good way.
    -The new film does not extend to every edge of the front glass.
    -The 2g film was easier for gliding your fingers than the 3g film :confused:

Any of that true? If I don't like the ghost armor front cover, I'm probably going to give these films a whirl, but I'm worried I won't like the clarity of the anti glare, and also worried about the thickness and coverage based on some comments I've heard.

9. Potsnu macrumors newbie

I just got the Power Support Anti-Glare for the 3G yesterday.

The protector does not extend across the entire screen, there is about 1mm gap all around. While this isn't a big issue in terms of screen protection, it's extermely annoying for dust.

Since Power Support uses static cling to attach the protector, the 1mm gap somehow manages to attract dust under the protector! It took me 15-20 mins to install it completely lint free.

I think they messed up on the measuring and cutting on the screens for sure. One tip I would give for installing is to use scotch tape on the non-adhesive side. You can easily remove/re-attach until you align it correctly. I would also use scotch tape to spot remove dust/lint that gets on the adhesive side during install.

10. TomyDingo macrumors member

TomyDingo

I'm thinking of buying this mainly for the smudge resistance, but i don't want to lose clarity of the screen. I can't find any reviews on the new films though!

11. SheryarYO thread starter macrumors newbie

So can anyone tell me if this is available at Apple Stores? I want to get it at least until I find something better...

12. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

It was at both the Michigan Avenue (where I got my iPhone) and Oakbrook (where I returned the dock they incorrectly sold me) stores here in Illinois.

13. slapppy macrumors 65816

Are you sure you got the one for the 3G specifically? It may be the original iPhone film that they may have sent you. I'm using that one temporarily until I get to the Apple store to find the film for the 3G.

14. mntentman macrumors regular

The 3G version of the cyrstal film comes with a pre-installation film, and the original version for iPhone did not... that's how you can tell the difference.

15. mchank macrumors regular

How does it fit on the phone? I've got a spare screen protector that's meant for the old iPhone, so if the old ones work fine, that will save me some money.

16. DoubleDose macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say that I received my Crystal Film Set today and although it is slightly smaller than the screen when installed correctly it is unnoticeable and clean. Work great with my case and from what I can tell has no effect on screen resolution or tint. Great product and I recommend for all!

17. TomyDingo macrumors member

TomyDingo

Hey guys, I just wanted to post a review of the anti-glare film for the 3G. I'm always leery of online reviews because I suspect the extremely positives ones are made by people that manufacture the product. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, haha.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and buy the film and try it out myself. First off, the film covers the entire screen! Make sure you buy the 3G version. Installation was fairly simple. On the first try a very small hair landed on the screen and created a bubble. I just lifted up one end of the film and removed the hair with some scotch tape. There were a few small bubbles, but they were easy to rub out.

Once installed, the film is almost undetectable. If I were to show the phone off to people I'm willing to bet they wouldn't even know there's a film on it. My only disappointment is the very minimal loss of clarity. Obviously it won't be as clear as the screen without this film on it, but it's honestly only noticeable when there's a white background.

I really like the texture of the screen. It reminds me of the feel of the trackpad on a macbook. I actually prefer this texture because it feels easier to slide, drag and pinch. My favorite characteristics of the film is that there are NO smudges or streaks on the screen from touching it all day. That was my main reason for buying the film. Before the film I was always rubbing the screen on my shirt or pants to quickly clean it off.

I've had the film on the phone for less than 24 hours, so I can't say if the edges will attract dust or not. So far there's none visible.

In conclusion, I highly recommend buying this screen if you are annoyed with smudges and finger marks. I'm so impressed with the screen that I decided to write this long review! I had not planned on that, but I'm really happy with my purchase!

18. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

Exactly what I found with using one with the 1st gen iPhone. I had one on mine since the day it come out, recently took it off and you can notice the difference when it comes to smudges.

It was pretty impossible to see, I used to work in an apple store and sold loads to everyone who i showed it to. No one ever came back with any complaints

19. btcutter macrumors 6502

I love mine.
    I don't like the anti glare version on my friends phone but to each his own.

Trick to install.....do not removed the original iphone cover when you get your phone (resist the temptation!!).....leave it on until you are ready with the Crytal film.....
    remove and install....lint and dust free!!!!!

20. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

:( too late for that, I should've just got one when I bought my 3G iPhone, hopefully the apple store will have them in today, now i just need to find a microfiber cloth

21. TomyDingo macrumors member

TomyDingo

Didn't get one with your iphone?

22. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

...I don't believe so, where would it be? One came with the iPhone 3G?

EDIT: according to the apple website the iPhone 3G came with a cloth, it must be underneath the divider thing that has headphones/usb cable/power brick, I never lifted that sectional divider thing out.

23. TomyDingo macrumors member

TomyDingo

Yeah, a small black one was in my box.

24. HaroldC macrumors regular

here's a little trick:

To remove any dust or to lift the film off the screen without damaging the film - use blue painter's tape. Doesn't leave any residue and is strong enough to pull off the dust and lint.