Power Support Crystal Film or Anti-Glare Film?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBookfan, Jun 20, 2008.

?

Which one do you use?

1. Power Support Crystal Film

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Power Support Anti-Glare Film

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. None....

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

2. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

And by the way; Do you have to use water when applying this film? Is there any kindda liquid on it?

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've used both - wooo, hooo! Anti-glare rules! Hardley any smudging!

OP - it sticks on...

4. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

But how does it sticks? No water right? (Don't wanna deal with any kindda liquid on my 'Phone :rolleyes:)

5. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I used the Power support crystal film for about 2 months until I finally realized it wasn't worth it.

You do not need a screen protector for the iPhone. The glass is non scratch able with normal use. Unless you plan on throwing it in a bag full of keys or knives you will be fine.

I've gone now 3 months with no screen protector and its great. You don't have to worry about getting dirt under it or anything like that...

plus, those screen protectors are like 15 bucks a pop for two of them, if you don't put them on right or get dirt on them its gonna drive you crazy.

Trust me.

6. svenhoops macrumors newbie

Don't be so sure... I scratched mine the week after I got it last year by just reaching into my pocket. Turns out that the scratch-proof screen doesn't like Titanium wedding rings. I bought the phone on the first day they were for sale, so it was early enough that Apple was feeling generous and replaced the phone for free, but I went right out and got the Power Supply Crystal Film protector and it did a great job. I just switched to the anti-glare a couple weeks ago and I like it even more because it doesn't smudge and it makes the screen a lot easier to see outside on a sunny day.

7. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Okay, nice. So it seems that I'll be going for the Anti-Glare... But I stil wanna make sure I don't have to apply water or soap-mixture on it (like InvisibleShield or BestSkinEver)? Please answer this, and it would be appreciated! :)

8. Paul S macrumors regular

This is the first I've heard about a screen scratching. I also have a Ti wedding ring, so now I'm worried. I guess I will get getting a screen protector, then...

I've never even heard of anybody requiring water to put on a screen protector. I'd think that would be dangerous and risky, since the phone has a water damage detector. If you get it wet and it goes dead, you're screwed.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I have the Anti-Glare. No, you don't need to use any liquid if you aren't concerning with you screen being clean when you apply the film. It's very hard to clean the glass completely of all salts, chemicals, or grease unless you use a damp rag. I just use a damp rag with mild soap to remove everything, then a damp cloth (soft like a micro fiber cloth to keep from scratching and leaving dust particles behind) to finish cleaning. You don't have to use but a couple of drops of water.
    If you have anything under the film, even a speck of dust, it will drive you crazy.
    The film has a very gentle adhesive that enables you to remove or reposition the film without any effort pertaining to the stickiness.

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

No water. The stuff is static cling material. It clings to the glass using static. It is pretty cool. While I haven't used it on the iPhone, I have used it on various iPods I have had. Works great. It is best to apply it to a brand new out of the box device. That way there is no grease or dirt or smudging. That can cause air bubbles.

Hopefully the original Anti-Glare will fit on a new iPhone. It will be interesting to see if it does. Otherwise, we will have to wait a bit for the product.

11. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Not quite true either. No adhesive. It is static cling material. Uses electrons to stick.

12. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well, here's a video of applying IS on a iPhone and as you he does use water to apply it = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpFOUZoUX0

wirldcardd: It sounds nice with the static cling.

I've heard that some iPhone screens not responding, obviously broken, but this has nothing to do with apply things like these, right? (Power Support, IS, BestSkinEver etc)?

13. glal14 macrumors newbie

The Power Support films do not use "static cling" instead of an adhesive. If you rub hard on the sticky side of the film, an adhesive layer WILL peel off. I don't know why everyone's saying there's no adhesive.

14. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I used the anti glare for about a week. I really liked that it ruduced the smudging but could not stand how much it dulled the screen. One of my favorite things about the iphone is it's screen and the anti glare dulls the colors to much. If you have to use a screen protector I would go with one that is clear not anti glare.

15. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I hate putting these on...I can never get the screen dust free....so I took mine off and now I have a stupid scratch on my phone....not big..but I went out and bought the Casemate brand at the AT+T store cause I didn't want to drive all the way to the Apple store and didn't want to hurt my screen again by accident.

Casemate SUCKS!!! I got it on with no dust and put it in my pocket...it must not seal well cause I took it out of my pocket and there was all kinds of lint underneath the screensaver....How the heck did that happen??????

So, I am definitely going out and getting a PS Crystal tomorrow....

16. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I've used both as well. I liked just the normal NONanti-glare one just because it makes the screen brighter/sharper almost HD like but I couldn't stand all of the smudges and fingerprints, so now I use the anti-glare one and couldn't be happier!

17. efice32 macrumors 6502

I've got the crystal one on my phone now and I love it. The only negative is that it gets fingerprints and oils from your fingers on it like crazy. For that reason, I might be trying out the anti-glare soon and see how I like it. I hear that it gives the screen a bit of a different texture/feel though, so I may not like that. We'll see.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's really a lot like using a matte LCD monitor. Yes, it's different. But you get rid of that ANNOYING glare. It's basically a personal preference thing, just like the MacBook Pros before Apple went all crazy on us. You really don't get many smudges on this cover. If you do, a little iKlear works wonders. It definitely dosen't smudge as much as the iPhone's glass cover. Yikes!

19. thebez macrumors regular

The brand you speak of is the one they sell at the Apple store, right? If so, I've been using the non-glare since day one, and I still love it. It makes it feel like a trackpad!

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Sorry, but this is funny. I just thought of someone A) carrying around a big sack of knives, and B) throwing their iPhone in that sack of knives. Made me laugh. :D

Oh and to stay on topic: I don't have a screen protector. I don't put my phone in my pocket with anything else (like keys or knives... haha), and it's not scratched at all. I also dropped it once, and the screen hit concrete (as the phone flipped several times - it was pretty bad), and still no scratches on the screen.

22. deriko100 macrumors 6502

The Power Support Anti-glare is easyer to put on, you wont notice any dust if you do get a little piece under it, the grain will annoy you more :rolleyes:.