Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Statusnone88, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

So I had mine arrive today. Install was a lot more tedious then I imagined. So I got them both on, they look pretty good except there are a few peices of dust under the back and front that to get out I'd have to take the whole thing off... but honestly every time I lift them up MORE dust gets in there.

So my question is this: Does removing the film take away it's adhesive? I'm lifting it with tape, so I'm in no way damaging the film. And how do you guys keep your environments so dust-free? I have a pretty clean area I do it in, but I just can't seem to keep the dust out.

Also is there anyway to actually clean the films? Plain old microfiber doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Maybe I should just do a wet install... but yet again I have no idea how to do that either. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Well apparently I got a bad back piece because when I unpacked it, I noticed the top left corner of the film wasnt on the thing you peel off properly. I didn't think anything of it and now every single bubble is gone except for that ONE piece of the corner... I hope Power Support has good customer service :(

3. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

4. ROFLtron macrumors newbie

5. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

6. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I got mine in the mail today. FAST SHIPPING! I was expecting it to take a week or so, not 2 days. I haven't installed it yet as my Zagg shield is doing ok and I was planning on waiting until my new case comes. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to it...

7. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I messed up mine up a bit too. Had problems because I used a new Costco yellow microfiber towel which shed little dust particles all over the place. The dust stuck to the back of the PS pieces and a few pieces got under the screen.

When I put one of these on my 3g I used one of the optical cloths that come with eyeglasses (feels silky) and I did a perfect install.

I may give it another try. I apply it in the bathroom to reduce dust. Next time, I will try remove the bottom section of the protector first, then remove the other sections of backing. I did not read the instructions so did not see that the backing can be torn away in segments. PS is close enough to my house that I may just go there and have them do it.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. choice macrumors regular

$2.00 PS installation fee

9. thesumokid macrumors newbie

i use iklear apple polish to wipe both the fronts of my phone. it takes off the smudges of the screen protectors really well

10. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I got the 3-piece set (1 crystal front, 1 anti-glare front, 1 crystal back) in the mail yesterday.

Anti-glare = made the screen look like crap. Took it off right away and put the crystal on instead.

Crystal = oil & fingerprints showed up MUCH worse than the bare iPhone glass. I suspected this was the case, so I took one side off for an experiment (I had the crystal on both the front and back at this point).

I then cleaned both the bare screen and the side with the crystal screen protector with a microfiber cloth & iKlear spray. After that, I rubbed my oily face against each side (as if making a phone call). The side with the crystal protector was disgusting and the bare screen looked great in comparison.

No more screen protectors for me. MUCH nice without!

11. pawo macrumors member

The install was very easy.... peel the middle, line up one of the ends, apply middle then peel the 2 other ends.

now the dust really pissed me off lol, it just kept coming back :( But I got it on pretty good

12. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Thank you. I have been debating about the Crystal Film from PS vs naked. You made me make up my mind :)

Question for you though, do you think the screen might scratch under normal use?

13. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Are you serious? Come on. A screen protector is made to uhh lets see, I don't know? PROTECT THE SCREEN. Like durr. Of course it isn't going to be exactly like the iPhone's screen, But what would you rather have a scratched up 300$ phone or the need to wipe it a few times. The real issue here is your oily face. I recommend a cleanser.

14. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

LOL. How likely do you think an iPhone is going to scratch if you don't drop it or rub it against a diamond ring? :)

15. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Diamond ring? Please, Glass is still Glass, no matter how much apple says they've scientifically/chemically strengthened it. And guess what? **** happens. People drop it, People throw it in their bag, People have it in their pocket without realizing theres already something in it, etc etc.

16. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

The PS crystal does look incredible. But as stated above, it's a smudge MAGNET. But honestly for me, having to carry around a microfiber cloth is worth it to me to preserve my 700 dollar phone especially since this particular version of the phone seems to be more susceptible to scratching.

My 3G has Zaggs for it's entire life span and I'll let you right now that this PS crystal blows the IS out of the water.

17. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I dunno. It's possible I suppose. Half the threads about iPhone say that their screen scratched from looking at it wrong and the other half say that they've had their phone in their pocket for a year with keys/change and not a single scratch. Who is right?

I actually don't touch the phone against my face when talking. I was only using that as a test. In fact, I use a bluetooth headset pretty much exclusively. However, it's still a valid test, as touching the screen enough has the same effect as an oily face. All I'm saying is that one shows oil/smudges WAY more than the other. Is that worth the extra protection? Maybe. I'm not convinced that it is, but it's a completely personal preference.

18. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Blah blah blah here.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28_89/products_id/1451

It has Oleophobic(Anti-Oil) coating just like the iPhone's screen, It will still show fingerprints a little but they say its "UV-coated" Which apparently makes them much easier to wipe away.

Your Welcome.

19. circularforward macrumors 6502

Did it say it was pre-order when you ordered it as it does on the website now? Thanks.

For the dust, try using one of those dust remover spray cans before applying the film.