Power Support films -- what's the difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VTAb182, Jun 24, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

2. Oversoul macrumors member

As this product isn't out yet for the iPhone 4, I can only speak from prior experience with Power Support films for earlier models. The Crystal film is a glossy, clear film that's meant to protect the screen from scratches. It does, however, get oily from finger swipes and prints. The Anti-Glare film has a matte finish, and will do what the name suggests -- cut down on glare -- as well as reduce fingerprints. The Anti-Glare film does occasionally get cloudy from touch. Both films are easily cleaned and very durable.

I've used both films on my original iPhone, and while its a great product, I wonder if it's a bit too obsessive. The iPhone glass is very resistant to scratches, and oleophobic against fingerprints. These films are also a bit pricey for what you get (2 films per package).

The Power Support films go on the face of the phone (excluding the button and bezel), and not on the back or all over. I thought Power Support made a full body film set, but I may be mistaken. In any event, there are several companies that make full body films, like ZAGG invisible shield. I can't comment on these, and you should check out the iPhone Accessories sub-forum for reviews or suggestions.

Hope this helps.

3. irich25 macrumors regular

i believe its for both sides?

4. cowsrus macrumors 6502

i've used both the crystal and anti glare screen protector and can honestly say i love the anti glare so much more

I like the way it feels and how it actually does prevent against finger prints and glares, unlike the crystal

if my opinion means anything to ya, go with anti glare

5. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

+1 for anti-glare

The first time I used Power Support films, it was the Crystal film. Although it was great and looked as if there wasn't even film on the surface of my iPhone, scratches and prints showed up easily. Also, the sun glared off of it on bright sunny days making the phone itself difficult or useless to read. Anti-glare remedies all of these issues.

Power Support films have previously only been about $14.95-19.95 which provides screen protection only. From the looks of the preview picture for the i4 protector and the $19.95 price point, I don't see them providing protection for both the front and rear with these sets. However, they usually have more than one piece of film in the package :D

6. Oversoul macrumors member

A quick followup on some of the above comments. I also preferred the anti-glare to the crystal because (1) while the crystal film does go on almost as if it wasn't there, there's a bit of a what's the point factor to it; and (2) the anti-glare really does reduce glare, fingerprints, and adds a nice tactile feel with the matte finish.

My only complaint about the anti-glare is that it does tend to mute the vibrancy of the colors on the screen, which would be a shame because the iPhone 4 has such a beautiful display.

I believe Power Support does include 2 pieces of film, but I also seem to recall that both films were cut for the front of the iPhone -- essentially a rectangle with a hole for the button. While the iPhone 4 has a symmetrically shaped front and back, and the second piece of film should fit on the back, the second film might not have the proper holes cut out for the camera lens and flash and will have a hole for a non-existent back button.

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've tried both and to me the anti-glare just diminishes the quality of the image too much. With the crystal film you can't even tell it's on the phone unless you look closely for the edges. While I can appreciate the anti-glare properties, there's no way I could stand the loss in visual quality.

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

+1 the anti-glare shield will make your screen look pixelated all over again.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have always had an anti-glare on my last few iPhones. I love the feel and the fact that it doesn't show as many fingerprints. I will agree though about it reducing the quality of the display (colors, clarity, etc.) I recently got one for my iPad. Fingerprints were driving me nuts and I was a bit concerned with scratching it. The fingerprints issue was solved by the Anti glare protector, but I'm not finding the display as vivid as I did when I first got it. So I'm on the fence now.

I definitely want to get Power Support films for the front and back of my i4 when they come available.

10. colemast macrumors newbie

11. eyyyephone4 macrumors newbie

I'm currently using an old 3gs Crystal on my 4, I had to cut it mind you but as a temporary solution it is beautiful. As others said, you cannot tell it's there, and the beauty and quality of the display is not hindered in the slightest. Fingerprints do show but I'd rather wipe away prints from time to time than risk a permanent scratch.

12. IAmTheCrack macrumors member

I had the anti-glare on my 3GS until around a month ago. It virtually eliminated fingerprints and smudge completely. I also vastly prefer the feel of the screen WITH the anti-glare protector on--feels smoother and your finger glides across the screen with greater ease. The reason I finally took it off is my wife's 3Gs didn't have a protector on and the picture was just SO much more vivid. When I took off the protector--it was like I was seeing the screen properly for the first time.

Having just upgraded to the iPhone4, I just can't imagine doing anything to take away from the beauty of the retina display. The PowerSupport website seems to indicate that the new anti-glare is more compatible with HD screens than prior versions--but I'd be a little skeptical of that. I know it certainly pixelated the display on the 3GS quite a bit. To me, the trade-off just isn't worth it. Just my two cents.

13. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Go to an AT&T store and grab a zagg invisishield dry. Easy to install and so far it's been really great :)

Xanadeath

14. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

They also had that at the best buy store. As well as the privacy screen, which i really liked.

15. Tee Hee macrumors member

Anyone know if there is a difference from the Power Support films and the really cheap 99cents ebay ones from Hong Kong?