Power Support HD Anti-Glare and Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Chrispy650, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Chrispy650 macrumors newbie

So I keep getting mixed reviews for how this screen film affects the retina display. I've looked through reviews on the apple site, PS site, and youtube vids. Most of them say the retina display is still crisp and clean and others say it looks grainy and not good. I love the retina display but wouldn't mind having that smooth matte feel of the film since most of the screen protectors I have tried may be clear but not smooth. I feel that any matte film with the anti glare would diminish the retina display by a little but I am just wondering how you guys feel about the PS HD film for those who have it.

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I love the feel of Matte/Anti-Glare screen protectors as well. I used PS Anti-Glare on my 3G and both my iPads when I had them. I purchased one for my 4 last summer thinking it would be fine as well. My personal opinion is that it wasn't a good fit for the retina screen. I love the retina screen but the anti-glare really diminished how it looked to me. It was really grainy and washed out the colors somewhat.

That was my personal experience but see what others have to say as well.

3. k3roro macrumors 6502

Based on my experience of the PS HD Anti-Glare, it does affect the clarity of the retina screen. I've yet to go back to it once I switched to a ultra-crystal clear screen protector.

4. imeth macrumors regular

I'm retina display type of guy, I had this screen protector on my iPhone 4. I went and got it for 4s. I just love the matte feel... It's worth it for me.

5. Chrispy650 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys! i think i read somewhere that there are cutouts for the proximity sensor (i have a white 4S)? Anyways I will see if anyone else chimes in. If anything I'll get that 3 piece set with the hd anti glare, crystal clear front and back

6. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

I put one on the wife's 4S. Gives a slight screen door effect from the matte finish, less contrast, not quite as bright. If you really appreciate the Retina display, go with the Crystal finish. Unfortunately, the Apple store only had the HD anti-glare version. She is OK with it. I am not a fan.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll second the above--the PS crystal films are gorgeous and excellent quality, as always...mine were delivered this morning and are in use now, screen is exactly the same as before the film.

8. shadedred macrumors member

You won't go wrong with Power Support, been using them since the 3G.

Otherwise, Anti-Glare vs Crystal really comes down to preference. The Anti-Glare does undoubtedly affect the screen clarity slightly, and I mean very slightly (although it becomes even more apparent once you swap to the Crystal after using the Anti-Glare for months). I use the Anti-Glare currently for these reasons: better touch/smoother feel (especially when playing games that use a virtual joystick), less prone to oil/smudges; easier to clean. As for the Crystal, the Retina display will certainly be in full effect. However, smudges/oil marks are more apparent and minor scratches are easier to spot. Otherwise, still both great screen protectors, I've used both the Anti-Glare and Crystal interchangeably for a few years.

As for the cutouts - yes, I have a white 4S also, and it does have all the necessary cutouts.

9. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I love my HD Anti Glare film. It does take a little away from the Retina Display, but the feel of it is awesome and it looks great.

10. Rusdude macrumors member

I've hadPS anti-glare on my iPod Touches (3rd and 4th gen) & iPad 2 and ordered HD AG for 4S too. I've used iPad 2 for awhile without AG screen on it (was too lazy to put it on), but I like the feel much better now. Also, with AG screen does look slightly different, but it's a small price to pay for not having to worry about glare and fingerprints/smudges.