Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tactician1016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Is there a way to set
A) a different sound for when I power on?
B) a sound effect for when I power down?
I already have a .aif file for the latter.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The EFI is a chip on Apple motherboards that controls hardware-level input and output. It is the equivalent of BIOS on most PC motherboards.

The Apple startup chime is hard-coded onto that EFI chip, and it indicates that the hardware passed its equivalent of a POST test; it's not a software-enabled startup sound like in Windows. One would have to reprogram the EFI to change the chime.

Trust me, if there were an easy way to change it, I would've already changed mine to a quote from a particularly funny Apple "Mac vs. PC" ad:

"Mac has issued a salutation. Cancel or Allow?":D

EDIT: There may be a third-party app for enabling sounds to be attached to Mac OS startup and shutdown, like Windows. Unfortunately, I can't think of any names right now, and they wouldn't replace the Apple chime anyway.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Shutdown's easy, actually. Just put an alias to the file in the /Library/ShutdownItems folder. It may be best to create an Automator action that will quit itself after it plays, just because I don't know how the system would handle opening a file in iTunes or Quicktime while trying to shut down, but the general principle is straightforward.

jW

Chris.J

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2010
I wasn't keen on the default startup chime, so I downloaded StartupSound.prefPane and muted it!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I see. Where might I find the shutdown items folder?

You probably will have to create it. Be careful of the exact capitalization and spacing, I believe it should be "ShutdownItems" without a space. If it doesn't work, you can try it with the space.

jW

tactician1016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
no luck

I put the folder in the Library, with the audio file. No luck. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.