Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hello all, I just discovered that I cannot manage my UPS battery backup, because it is completely missing in energy savings settings. I have this model; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It used to be there in the system settings, but now it is just gone.

I also went to cyberpower's website to see if there is any software, and I did find it, and downloaded it, and tried to open it, but my mac said it was not up to date, and was from an unidentified developer with possibly malicious software. I have accept software from other developers checked in system settings.

So now I am left with no way of knowing or setting up timing for shutdowns or anything.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
First of all, you do not need their PowerPanel software for basic functions. You can use the Energy Saver UPS Options to control automated shutdown.
Their software is a bit of a mess. It is not signed or notarized. You can run the installer by right-clicking and then opening it. macOS will let you run it the second time. Looking inside the bundle it is a bit of a mess with Java and Qt with lots of unneeded kruft not removed. But it does support emailing on failure and power reports.
I uninstalled and then reinstalled it, but it would not work at all the second time.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
First of all, you do not need their PowerPanel software for basic functions. You can use the Energy Saver UPS Options to control automated shutdown.
Their software is a bit of a mess. It is not signed or notarized. You can run the installer by right-clicking and then opening it. macOS will let you run it the second time. Looking inside the bundle it is a bit of a mess with Java and Qt with lots of unneeded kruft not removed. But it does support emailing on failure and power reports.
I uninstalled and then reinstalled it, but it would not work at all the second time.
Found the problem, my cat got on my desk and must have pulled the USB cord that conncets the cyberpower to my computer, plugged it back in, and it is now visable again.

Last edited:

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
Found the problem, my cat got on my desk and must have pulled the USB cord that conncets the cyberpower to my computer, plugged it back in, and it is now visable again.
Hmmm...I have two cats but neither pulled loose that USB cable. I have macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on my 2020 iMac 27" (Intel) and CyberPower PowerPanel Personal (overrode the install prevention to get it to install), but...it doesn't see the CP1500PFCLCDa UPS. I specifically got the UPS to replace my really old APC 1500 UPS that didn't work with Macs.

Do I have to do something to make the USB connector "see" the UPS/make the app work? I can set things in the Energy Saver settings for the UPS, but wanted to use the app, as there are more settings and reports.

Thanks!

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hmmm...I have two cats but neither pulled loose that USB cable. I have macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on my 2020 iMac 27" (Intel) and CyberPower PowerPanel Personal (overrode the install prevention to get it to install), but...it doesn't see the CP1500PFCLCDa UPS. I specifically got the UPS to replace my really old APC 1500 UPS that didn't work with Macs.

Do I have to do something to make the USB connector "see" the UPS/make the app work? I can set things in the Energy Saver settings for the UPS, but wanted to use the app, as there are more settings and reports.

Thanks!
Sorry did not see this sooner, I am just using the system settings to see my UPS, not any of cyberpowers software. I think the software is tricky, and there might be something in mac os that is preventing it from working properly, in the system security settings or something, I see it was overridden, but maybe there is a block of some sort.

Did you make sure the cyber power app is compatible with the version of mac os on your mac?

Maybe a reboot of your mac is needed, the plug in the USP via USB again?

You may not need to use any of cyberpowers apps, unless it is really needed, for more options? I am not at the moment, have not needed to, just using my system settings in the power saver section.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
FYI. I'm now on Sonoma, and they STILL have not updated their Power Panel Personal software, but, they gave me a workaround to load their Power Panel Business the Local version, and...for whatever reason, that works.

While nice to have...the built-in UPS stuff in macOS did allow me to setup anything I needed the UPS to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.