Power

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OneArmedScissor, Jan 9, 2008.

1. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

Im going to buy a new mac next week and i was wondering if i will get a different power supply based upon what i buy from apple.com, when im going to use third party vendors for hard drives and ram. I want to have their largest supply and here is what im ordering from apple.com

Mac Pro- 8 core dual 3.2 processors
    2GB ram
    1 300GIG 15,000 RPM Hard Drive
    1 Nvidia Quadro 5600
    1 30" ACD

Im buying 3 TB's from newegg and 8 gigs of ram from OWC... will i still get the largest supply for expanse?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Apple doesn't ship different power supplies, they are all the same. So yes, you are getting the "largest", ie only, power supply.

3. timestamp macrumors 6502

Just curious why a Quadro?

I would venture to say Apple is using a 1K power supply across the board.

It could be that they are using something beefier with the 3.2Ghz since those are 120W chips and the logic board is supposedly different with the 3.2 model.

If anything, buying the 3.2 Mac Pro pretty much guarantees that if there is a larger power supply, you are getting it.

4. OneArmedScissor thread starter macrumors member

3D work- CAD, MAYA, Raw HD encoding/ rendering. Quadro 5600 is a seriously quality card and i want to cut my time dealing with render times and smoother ratios across the board

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

On a related topic (power), how powerful should a UPS be? My current one is fine for my PC, monitor, printer, (APC 750VA) but with a Mac Pro, seems like I'll need a 1500VA or something....any good advice on this?

Thanks!

-Bryan

6. timestamp macrumors 6502

Just making sure. I have seen a few people looking to buy it and have no idea what it is. Good luck to you with your machine.

7. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I think this is kind of along the same topic. I am curious about the appropriate card for animating in Maya. I've heard that you don't necessarily need the same card for animating as you would for modeling (NVIDIA Quadro). I've actually heard that cards more typical for gaming are better for animation in Maya. Is this true? Or is the Quadro the best for both modeling and animation?