Powerbank and cable recommendations

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
My iPhone 6s has garbage battery life, despite the battery being only 8 months old (changed December) and health at 87%. I’ve already done all I could to make the battery last longer (turned off location services etc., and on and on).

At this point, my idea is to use a powerbank to use on the go to power my iPhone (and iPad Air 3). I have a RAVPower 10,000 mAH that I bought earlier this year, and it said specifically that it would charge the iPhone, iPad etc.

Here is my problem: both my iPhone and my iPad only charge for a few seconds when hooked up to the RAVPower, and then stop charging. I don’t understand why this problem exists.

There are I guess two possibilities - it’s the fault of the RAVPower battery or the cable. I tried swapping off the USB/Lightening cable and it does not make anything better.

In either case, I’m wondering what you guys use or can recommend for this purpose. Do you have a powerbank and cable combo that actually works? TIA!

brenard

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
I'm using a Anker powerbank and no issues so far. It came with a micro usb cable only so I bought an Anker cable for my iPhone.

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thanks, brenard, how long have you used your Anker? I found that my RAVPower worked for about 3 months, then stopped. So, unfortunately, one can't always presume that just because something works to start with, it'll continue doing so. I'd like to get at least a couple of years out of a powerbank - I hope that's not asking for too much... I know batteries have a lifespan, but 3 months is just ridiculous.

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I have a RAVPower power bank that works fine for my iPad and iPhone. Contact RAVPower for a replacement since they are warranteed for 18 months.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
How "garbage" is the battery life? What's your SOT? I'm in a similar boat (battery changed end November, but still at 95%)

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
How "garbage" is the battery life? What's your SOT? I'm in a similar boat (battery changed end November, but still at 95%)
Something is seriously wrong with my iPhone 6S battery life. It's insane. I'll go for a 10 minute walk with my cat (yes, my cat walks on a leash :)) around my house front/back yard - and I'll go from 80% to like 5% within 10 minutes. I can literally watch as the percentage numbers drop. Or I'll put away my phone for the night with the ringer off, 80% and in the morning 8 hours later, it'll be like 35% - and I have not been using it! I'll go for a doctor's visit, the whole thing lasting 2 hours and literally after 1 hour I've gone from 90% to 1% - and all I've done is read google news during that hour - no video, no music.

Last night I was in bed where I have a lightening cable into the main power. I hooked it up and over the next few minutes saw something simply unbelievable - I actually don't even know how it's possible from a technical point of view. Here's what happened - I had my phone at 61% when I hooked up the cable (remember, this goes into my outlet!). I put the phone down on the bed to let it charge while I'm reading on my iPad Air 3 (which by the way has excellent battery life!). A few minutes later, I pick up the phone to see how the charging is coming along - and I thought I had a stroke... I could not believe my eyes - the battery DROPPED to 41%... WHILE HOOKED UP TO THE OUTLET!!! How is this even possible??? I can't figure it out. It recovered pretty fast, and charged up within a few minutes, but man, I thought I was losing my mind. It's like those UFO reports - you think people are crazy who report this, until you see it and can't believe your eyes. That's how I felt.

Anyhow, I don't know what is wrong. I tried all the tricks. I tried re-calibrating the battery, drain to 0% until it turns itself off, wait a few hours, charge to 100%, repeat action. No improvement. I turned off everything I could think off - there's a youtube video with a couple of ex-Apple techs who show you what to switch on/off to make your battery last - I did it all, no improvement. I'm on 12.3.1.

My only hope is that iOS 13 might shake up something. Otherwise, my next phone is definitely not going to be an iPhone. My wife has of all things, a Huawei phone (lol!) she bought before all this trade nonsense happened, and the battery on that thing lasts FOREVER. Man, if that phone is available next year, that's what I'm buying. I'm done with Apple (though I'd done with Apple due to how f'd up the music/podcast software is - I jog and I'm livid when I can't get through a podcast because the software decides to stop the podcast in the middle and start over again... it's all the little things I'm sick and tired of).

Incidentally, until I changed the battery November, my previous battery life was pretty good. It seems to me things got really bad the last couple of months. I don't download too many apps, and usage shows me mostly using Google News at 53% of the time, Gmail 16%, Safari 6% and so on.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
That sounds like a bad battery. When the battery goes bad, it can have all kinds of arbitrary jumps.

What does coconut battery say about full charge capacity?

Can you show pics of your battery graph (24hrs, 10 days)?

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
You should get a genius bar appointment. This looks weird. And it seems that on many days, you aren't getting anywhere near 2h of SOT on 100% charge. Can you charge the phone overnight (and not use it after midnight), take it off the charger in the morning, use it normally, and then make screenshots when you are around 2%? For the 10-day statistics, additionally tap on the current day and make a screenshot, and there also scroll down to make screenshots of the app %-usages and times.