Powerbeats 3

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by austriak, Dec 22, 2016.

1. austriak macrumors regular

For those with the powerbeats 3, a couple questions.

1. Are they comfortable?

2. Do they go in canal?

3. How is the sound?

4. They are marketed as a sports headphone. Are they good for non-sport as well?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1. They are just as comfortable as the Powerbeats 2 BUT whether that is comfortable to YOU is something you need to find out for yourself.

2. They sit on the ear canal but do not go in as others do like Jaybirds.

3. Sound is bass-y, lacking in treble IMHO. But again everyone "hears" differently and also it depends on the kind of music you will be listening too.

4. They are fine for any use. The "sports" part is mostly because of the way the clip onto your ears and the water resistance and also the bright colors offered.

3. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

Agree. I got mine while i waited for the airpods. I used them at work - i only put in the right one and let the left one dangle.
    They are the easiest phones I've ever used to get into my ear. Just hold the center and flip the hook around the back of your ear-it's very flexible. I like the tip thats kind of in 2 sections. It goes in better in my small ear.
    It was my favorite, until the airpods.

4. superflush macrumors 6502a

I just got to them today, and I've been using the Jaybird X2 headphones for the past 6 months, so those are my closest comparison.
    1. Comfort: my initial reaction is that they are not comfortable, but this might take some getting used to, or some adjustments
    2. As Chupa Chupa says "They sit on the ear canal but do not go in as others do like Jaybirds." This may be why I find them uncomfortable, maybe if I just rest them in my ears, the comfort is better.
    3. Sound: I don't notice a huge sound difference from the X2s, other than these Powerbeats3 being more bass-y.
    4. I have been using the X2s as sports headphones for the past 6 months, but what I have found is that they make good everyday headphones as well. The advantage of wireless is huge, and I find myself making the tradeoff for bluetooth over sound quality (I have a pair of B&O H6) or noise cancellation (I have a pair of Bose QC20) in more cases than just sports/workout. When walking around the city, bluetooth is great. I imagine that if I stick with these Powerbeats3, that I'll use them just the same as I have used the X2s.

5. superflush macrumors 6502a

An update: after both myself and my girlfriend found the Powerbeats3 to be quite uncomfortable, I returned/upgraded them for a pair of Beats Solo3 for her.

6. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Can you compare the Powerbeats 3 and AirPods a bit more? I got the Powerbeats when they came out and I'm wondering if I can justify getting both.

7. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

9. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I have both. PowerBeats are definitely more secure in place for things like running for me personally. The AirPods are totally secure until I move at a faster pace (i.e. 7-8mph on a treadmill). They also loosen up but do not fall out with laying flat on a bench. The Powerbeats stay in place and are also more bass heavy, which I generally am indifferent to (I personally prefer the sound of the AirPods at rest) but cant argue the bass can be fun for workouts.

Key is if you find them comfortable. If not and you want wireless for workouts but not AirPods, I also think the soundsport wireless is pretty solid and comfortable. They aren't in ears. For me, the Powerbeats are half in ear, the tips aren't super deep but they still form some seal in the outer third of the ear canal

10. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

Powerbeats do sound better, so if you listen to music or are very active then you'd probably feel more secure with them. They do have more base, and you can push them into your ears to block sounds. And they do truly lay 10-12 hours on a charge, and have great range with the W1 chip

The AirPods are just simpler. The case is easier for me to slip into my pocket or purse, and I like being able to wear one without the other one dangling. So there isn't a lot of extra that you get. It's funny, I fought with kinked up cords for ages, and thought the Powerbeats 3 were so much between. Now, I fight their connecting cord and think it's a pain.

11. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Thank you. You nailed that last part, I'm always doing something else when I'm listening so I'm usually only using one ear. It looks like AirPods are the clear winners here, but if the Powerbeats sound better I think it's worth the trade off. The Beats are annoying to listen to with one ear because the other always dangles or stops you from turning your head etc.

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Do the AirPods sound better?

Edit: spoke too soon.

13. Andrewtst macrumors regular

Andrewtst

I just get it yesterday

1. Are they comfortable?
    They are quite, not bad but I can't said it is extreme comfortable.

2. Do they go in canal?
    Not really. Halfway.

3. How is the sound?
    The bass is strong if you use a correct fit ear buds, else it sound no bass and blank.
    I prefer change equalizer of iPhone to R&B as under standard setting, the treble is way too high.

After you fit it nicely with correct equalizer setup, it sound very awesome, deep bass but not over and clear vocal, no pitching or breaking sound.

4. They are marketed as a sports headphone. Are they good for non-sport as well?
    I don't see this an issue. It just marketing as sports usability.