Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I just finished re-pasting my Powerbook. It made a huge difference in the average temperature.

While taking it apart, I noticed a few stickers in the battery compartment that did not appear original. But what I found most surprising was after cleaning up the hardened paste from the CPU, I noticed that the CPU ID was 7447B. According to everymac, The 12" powerbook should have come from factory with the 7447A, correct?

Is it possible that this particular powerbook had logic board swap performed by apple?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just finished re-pasting my Powerbook. It made a huge difference in the average temperature.

While taking it apart, I noticed a few stickers in the battery compartment that did not appear original. But what I found most surprising was after cleaning up the hardened paste from the CPU, I noticed that the CPU <i>ID</i> was 7447<b>B</b>. According to everymac, The 12" powerbook should have come from factory with the 7447A, correct?

Is it possible that this particular powerbook had logic board swap performed by apple?

Thanks

Try plugging your serial into this online utility and see what it shows as the OEM processor.

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Try plugging your serial into this online utility and see what it shows as the OEM processor.

That's an interesting link. It says it has a 7447a. I guess I could take it apart once more and snap a picture of the cpu.

Edit - I still can't believe the difference re-pasting the cpu makes. I can actually use it with Better Performance setting on without having the fan turn on.

Second edit - I also noticed that one of the extra sticker in the battery compartment lists the RAM specs as 1.25 GB while the link you provided indicates that it should have 512 MB. There's also an extra Ethernet sticker. Is there a terminal command that I can run that will identify the cpu?

Reactions: B S Magnet
That's an interesting link. It says it has a 7447a. I guess I could take it apart once more and snap a picture of the cpu.

Edit - I still can't believe the difference re-pasting the cpu makes. I can actually use it with Better Performance setting on without having the fan turn on.

Second edit - I also noticed that one of the extra sticker in the battery compartment lists the RAM specs as 1.25 GB while the link you provided indicates that it should have 512 MB. There's also an extra Ethernet sticker. Is there a terminal command that I can run that will identify the cpu?

Offhand, I don't know it. Alternately, if you can get your hand on the Apple Service Diagnostic dmg for your model to burn to a disc — either ASD 2.5.8 or 2.6.3 — and run that, it will show all the deep and gory details about your logic board, processor, and on-board sensors. I only know this since I just ran 2.6.3 on the DLSD PBG4 and verified that nope, it does not have the fabled PPC7448 processor.

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Took it apart again to take a photo.

Attachments

• WP_20190321_20_33_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190321_20_33_08_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 191

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I just noticed that the bottom of the cpu pcb says 7447a. So which on is it - the metal cap or the pcb?

I just noticed that the bottom of the cpu pcb says 7447a. So which on is it - the metal cap or the pcb?

This is where someone like @dosdude1 or @LightBulbFun could chime in with a definitive answer.

That said, my understanding is the metal cap has precise internal information about the chip within — type, revision, etc. I'd suss that any revisions to the 7447B chip were minor enough to not require fundamental alterations to the semiconductor base (which yes, shows 7447A).

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I'm really interested in finding out a bit more about how this little powerbook could have ended up with a 7447b.

Thanks for the info.

fourbirds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Well dang
images

I'll send a note to everymac to get them to update their powerbook 6,8 page then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.