Powerbook 12" 867Mhz Upgrade to 1.5Ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lscangus, Jan 3, 2009.

1. lscangus macrumors 6502

Hello, just to say, i got a 1st gen 867Mhz Powerbook 12"

If i get a new motherboard 1.5Ghz and a new bottom case, will i be able to get it upgraded using all the existing components?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you get a new motherboard youll have to replace the graphics card and the processor too (as their soldered to it!) but you can keep your RAM, Hard Drive, Super Drive, and other stuff :)

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I thought the 867 was a VGA machine; latter powerbooks were DVI

Not sure this could work?

4. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

The idea is to replace the motherboard, with the graphics chip and the CPU. The mini-DVI port is a problem, thats why i have to change the lowercase as well. Do you guys think all the compoennts are basically the same?

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

logically, I think you should be fine with your plan.

One thing I will suggest is made sure the I/O for the HDD and Cd drive are the same. They may have been upgraded but I doubt it. Still worth checking.

Good luck :)

6. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Yes, it will work. Let us know how it goes. There is no logical reason as to why it wouldn't work. But, definitely check the I/O ports for the SuperDrive and HDD, although I think they are the same.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you go ahead with this, be sure to post pictures and let us know how it goes.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

FYI. There was a company that made a 2.0 GHz upgrade (you had to send it in to them) for all the 12"s except for the 867 so there was something specific about that model.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah you'll need to replaced the bottom case as well.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its going to be most cost effective to get a 1.5 12" and ebay your 867.

11. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I have to agree with this, maybe use ebay or cragslist and put the cost to a referb. or a new macbook you would be surprised at what you could get for it. I got 500.00 on craigslist for a 12" Powerbook 1.33 it was in mint shape and new battery and charger, I wish I would have had a few of these I could have sold them all, mine went in the first hour of posting.

12. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking that as well lol. Coz i dun like the new Macbook. TBH, i got a unibody MBP and returned it, I think the new computer are less tought than the old ones. The unibody of my MBP can be easily flexed. And the quality of the aluminium is not as good as the one before. Making it easier to be scretched and dented. I wonder if Apple will use better grade aluminium in the 17" MBP unibody? As i will be interested to get one, as i love the unibody MBP very much.

Angus