Powerbook 12" Hangs on Grey Screen, No Spinning Pinwheel

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by livelyj, Mar 16, 2010.

1. livelyj macrumors newbie

I've scoured the net for an answer to this, but no luck so far. On startup I get the chime and the Powerbook looks like it is starting up, but there is no pinwheel and no progress. I've left it for 1/2 hour and it stayed on the grey screen.

The optical drive is acting funny as well- I could only boot from Diskwarrior (not Mac OSX 10.4 Install Disc), and when I did, the screen looked like a negative, with severe pixelation (it was not because of my Universal Access settings either).

I've tried unplugging and removing the battery overnight, resetting PRAM several times, attempting to start in Verbose/Single User/Safe modes (none of which work), running Diskwarrior 4.0, starting from other startup disks (no luck). There is a new HD installed and it is ok according to Diskwarrior. The machine will load in Target Disc mode and Open Firmware mode, but that's it.

I am at a loss, any suggestions? I'll try just about anything!

2. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Have you tried inserting your Mac OS X DVD and re installing?

If that doesn't work, then it could be a dead logic board or bad RAM.

3. livelyj thread starter macrumors newbie

My CD drive is being fickle and won't load my original OSX 10.4 disc, so I am not able to boot from it. I have another mac, should I try to reinstall 10.4 via Target Disk Mode from the other machine?

4. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

5. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Try

Does it chime? Try holding down Shift+Cmnd+Opt+P+R until it chimes a total of 3x. Also in answer to your question about target disc mode, yes;

6. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Go for it.