PowerBook 12 inch visits the Apple Store

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appleish19, Dec 9, 2016.

1. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

Had to go in for a unrelated issue and happened to have my PowerBook 12 inch 1.5 in my backpack. Decided to pull it out and do some web browsing while waiting for a genius. Couldn't believe the reaction I got from several geniuses and one customer even asked which model it was so they could buy it. :D

Still a very capable machine almost 12 years later. A daily use machine for me :):apple:

Attached Files:

2. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Awesome! I like taking in older Apple stuff and talking to the employees about it. I talked about my many various iPods the last time I took something in for repair. The Genius seemed impressed! It's funny that a customer asked you about it. :p

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Sounds like a fun experience. I keep meaning to take something interesting in.

It just goes to show that some customers don't mind a laptop being ~1" thick if it has other features they like!

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I had that exact model and tbh when they discontinued it I was gutted till the MacBooks came out in 2015. Now I have the modern version :)

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Thanks for sharing that story.
    Reminds me somewhat of an experience in public with an iBookG3 Clamshell. I'd seen an ad for two Clamshells to be sold together, a blue and tangerine model. The asking price seemed a liitle exaggerated, but as it was just a 15min drive away, I arranged to meet the seller in a small bistrot inside a large shopping mall.
    The young guy arrived with the iBooks, and we sat down, ordered coffee, and got down to 'business'. Batteries were duff on both, but we chose a table longside a convenient power outlet so were able to boot ok.
    Both were fully functional, one running OS 8.6 and the other 9.1. Both had the unfortunate stress cracks around the small apple logo under the screen, and the tangerine had further cracking on and around the carry-handle. It was around midday and there was a fair amount of movement in the cafe, and especially around our table. Now it would be an exageration to say we had a crowd forming, but on at least 4 occasions I noticed that several people had stopped and stared with obvious interest at the clamshells in use.
    I offered the seller a price he was happy with. He told me he wanted the money to buy a limited edition pair of Nikes - they may be worn out now as that was over 2 years ago. The Clamshells are still going strong!

6. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

That's awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on a clamshell. Would rock that in public no problem. :cool:
    Really want to start playing around with os9 and get some software for it.

7. Macdctr macrumors regular

Nice to see 12 inch PowerBooks still being used today. I have two in my collection :)

8. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Me too I have two spares in perfect shape as well. Just so I have them in the future when this one dies.

9. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I remember the 2007 MacBook Pros had the GeForce 8600 graphics cards, and I found one on Craigslist for sale for $200 with "no video". I went to grab it (2011ish) knowing that Apple was replacing the logic board on these. I got the laptop and it was MINT and had the original box and everything still in its package. Took that puppy straight to Apple to have it serviced. I do remember the genius' being quite surprised at the box size, one mentioning "hey check this out, they sure have trimmed the fat on the boxes, eh?" to a co-worker. I told them they should have been around to see the size of the PowerBook and iBook boxes...