Powerbook 12" Temps

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SecretSquirrel, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SecretSquirrel macrumors member

I'm really interested in finding out what is considered "normal" temps for the PB 12" 1.5GHz. At complete idle with no apps open, my CPU/GPU combo varies between 41/48C and 43/50C. Not really a problem in itself, it's just that the fan kicks in at 42/49C. As I have a SSD fitted the machine is blissfully silent when the fan's not running but every couple of minutes silence is rudely interrupted! If necessary, I'll open it up (again) and re-do the thermal compound (again) but the temps don't seem to be particularly high for the fan to be starting up. Any thoughts?

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Mine has been idling for several days now at 749 MHz.

This is the output of "sysctl hw.sensors". The fan is not running.

hw.sensors.adt0.temp0=47.00 degC (Remote)
    hw.sensors.adt0.temp1=45.00 degC (Internal)
    hw.sensors.adt0.temp2=57.00 degC (Remote)

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I only own a 1.33Ghz model, generally the thermal sensor starts the fan at 48-51C but only revs it up higher if anything is spiking the processor+GPU load. Temp wise the fan shouldn't turn on if you raise the height off the table(either upgraded feet via kitchen bumpers) or tilting the rear upwards for more airflow to the hinge area.

nVidia GPU is toastier than ATI based PowerBook G4s so airflow really matters the most, if noise was an issue a late era ATI 9550 iBook G4 would have been more ideal.

4. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

You can set the processor to "automatic" and it will run at half speed when idle. Also, driving an external monitor will run the GPU a little hotter.

There are little platforms you can get that you can set the powerbook on and it will quietly circulate air across the bottom. This works well for desktops and keeps the internal fan from running.

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I have the same PB as you, what I do is raise the fan thresholds to something more reasonable, in my case I have the fans set to start at 55C.
    I use an app called "G4 FanControl" to achieve this, it works well for me and does keep things quieter.

6. SecretSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

The noise is more of an irritation than an issue, though to be fair once I get round to oiling the rattley fan, it will probably help. I was just wondering what others experiences were.

I'll give that app a try - many thanks!