Powerbook 12"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tyroler, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Tyroler macrumors member

Tyroler

It's 5.55 Am and at 07.00 opens Post Office i can collect a Parcel,in which shall be a Powerbook 12" i won at Ebay.
    £92.- i paid. Thats about £120.- or so

What i was looking for was
    1.) Size,as i found in a charity Shop a Beautiful Laptop case of that size from Porsche design :)
    2.) CPU Speed and Bus,as i can upgrade Ram and Hard drive myself.

the Case,well,i expect some Damage,not just sign of ware but i may get a not working Powerbook from Ebay to move the Parts over.
    Hope it will work for some years.
    Think i will not go much over tiger.Dont know if the Ram if less then 2 Gb isn't too low for Leopard.
    there is another Question which keeps me awake.lots of macbooks on Ebay.Whats the difference?
    dont think i cold swap a logicboard from a powerbook to a macbook without re-cutting and drilling.Just dont know about why Apple did make the powerbook and macbook,as if not one of them were enough with all the differend figures on CPU ect,ect.
    Now well.
    Will know in a two/three Hour more about it

Details as from Ebay
    Item specifics
    Condition:
    Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully ... Read more
    Brand: Apple
    Memory: 512 MB
    Release Year: 2005
    Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
    Release Month: January
    Processor Type: PowerPC G4
    Product Family: PowerBook G4
    Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
    Screen Size: 12.1"
    MPN: M9691B/A

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes, definitely not. It wouldn't make any sense to either, since the price of the PB plus the price of a macbook mobo will likely cost you as much as a macbook.

The MacBook and MacBook Pro were the replacements for the iBooks and PowerBooks, which were launched during the Intel transition. So they were never produced concurrently.

3. simsaladimbamba

Das PowerBook war der Vorgänger des MacBook Pros, das MacBook is der Nachfolger des iBooks.
    iBook und PowerBook haben IBM Prozessoren mit PowerPC Architektur benutzt.
    2005 hat Apple angekündigt, ab 2006 Prozessoren von Intel mit x86 Architektur zu benutzen, daher wurden ab 2006 neue Mac Modelle herausgebracht und zum Teil umbenannt, das iBook wurde zum MacBook (zwei iBook Modelle - 12" und 14" - wurden auf ein 13" MacBook vereinfacht), das PowerBook (12", 15" und 17" PowerBook wurden erstmal zum 15" MBP konsolidiert, das 17" MBP kam ein paar Monate später).

Es gibt auch eine Menge Artikel zum "Intel Switch", vielleicht kann ja www.everymac.com helfen, Klarheit in die ganze Modellvielfalt zu bringen.

4. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

Well,got them now.
    looks as if a bomb has detonated :)
    few screws missing and no Charger
    Well started and a line from Left to right.
    looks to me for failing logic board,...
    during Boot comes Message
    "You need to restart your Computer.Hold down the Power button for several Second or press the Restart Button."

Did that now 5 times with same result.
    reseated ram (1x 1 gb) but no changes.
    sent them a Message and opened a case.
    :apple:

5. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

Visited the Apple Technician
    Now,The serial Number Sticker is missing on the Unit.
    He booted from a Disc as all other failed and it needed a few Minutes to repair the Hard drive.then it worked fine.
    He also put a new Eject button in Place and connected a external Monitor to see if the Line on the screen comes from a Faulty screen or logic Board.
    Worked fine on the external Monitor and we could boot a few Times without Problem.
    But as the Prevoious Owner didn't refund the Cost of repair i opened a case and returned it for full refund.
    I tryed the powermac another Time before i packed the Unit and it froze again every Time i boot it.
    Gave me the Idea that it boots from a Disc and does so when its warm,as the Owner said he installed new Software and booted a few Time without problem.
    OK,its sent back and i will have my £91.50 plus £6.- postage back in a While.
    Problem is that i bought a Charger and will have to find me another 12" Laptop which fits in my Laptop Bag and to my Charger