PowerBook 1400 and File Sharing with 10.12.1

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Hugh, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I have a PowerBook 1400c/133 with 64mb of ram, I'm using Mac OS 8.6 with a Lucent Orinoco WaveLan PC Card and Dave 4.0. I have the software for the card installed and I am able to connect to the internet with it, but that's not what I want to use it for. I want to use it for sharing files between my iMac using 10.12.1, now I understand the Apple no longer supports Apple File Share on Mac OS X. So my question is what do I need to do on the Mac OS X side for me to share files?

Like I said I have Dave 4.0 install so if I have to use Windows File Sharing I am able to do that, but I'm not sure how to set that up since I don't know Window's File Sharing that well.

Any help would be great! :)

Thanks!

=Hugh

2. QuickDraw macrumors regular

probably not the most elegant solution, but you could enable the ftp server on your macOSX side, and use a ftpclient on your powerbook to upload/download files.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple still supports Apple File Sharing, but you need to manually enable it. After you turn on file sharing, click the options button in the Sharing System Preference, and check the "share files and folders using AFP" box.

4. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Sorry for not getting back to you guys, and thanks for the help. But I no longer own this PowerBook and WLAN card anymore, I sold them. But thanks for the help!!! :)

=Hugh

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have this *sneaking* suspicion I own this now lol! Spent last evening disassembling it to remove the pram battery... joy joy! Will try and get that Orinoco up and running at some point :)

6. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Keysersoze, if you are the one that bought my unit, I hope everything is still okay. :). I could connect though the internet by doing Internet Sharing in OS X on my one iMac but I couldn't figure out how to transfer files back and forth.. :/

=Hugh

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's running just fine- I haven't even tried to network it yet, but would like to get file sharing up and running. I dubbed around with some video playback on it and had a laugh playing The Old Apartment off of an 8.1 install CD. My main bridge machine is a beige G3, so shouldn't have too many troubles there! Last 1400 I played with was my Dad's back in 1997. This one was high on my Wanted list but for some reason it took me awhile to get around to get one. For the record, Hugh did a great job packaging it. :p