PowerBook 1400cs data recovery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zioom, Dec 12, 2011.

1. zioom macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I met a nice, old man who has asked me to help him with a computer problem. He owns a PowerBook 1400cs that he's still using and where he stores many important files/documents. He wants me to copy these files onto an external drive (flash, hard drive, whatever). Now, the problem is, I live in Poland and it's extremely difficult to get any parts for these kind of computers here. The only ports that the computer has are PCMCIA and SCSI HDI-30 (NO ethernet and NO floppy drive).

Anyone has any idea on how to get these files copied to a different machine?? I can get here, in Poland, lots of PC parts but almost no Macintosh accessories. I've been thinking of doing one of this guys suggestions:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2464848?start=0&tstart=0

Any help would be appreciated
    Greetings,
    zioom

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

That is unnecessarily complicated.

Since all PowerBook 1400s have standard 2.5" (E)IDE HDDs inside them, a much better way to do it is to grab a IDE to Mobile IDE adapter (About $5 on eBay, basically it takes standard 40-pin IDE and Power in and has a 44-pin 2.5" IDE connector on the other side), and hook the 1400s HDD up to a slightly more recent Mac with USB, e.g. a PowerMac G4 running OS 9, which will let you retrieve all the data from the PowerBooks HD, directly onto a newer Mac and onto a Flash Drive. This is much faster than using any of the connections on the Mac (e.g The Serial connection), and once your done, you should be able to just pop the HD back into the 1400 and everything is copied onto something more modern.