Powerbook 15" LCD screen problems (scrambling)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FadingRose, Jan 3, 2009.

1. FadingRose macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook 15" Aluminum from 2004. The screen is starting to have problems. For a while, the screen would start to scramble (it was similar to when your cellphone is next to a monitor and someone calls the cellphone which causes the monitor to scramble). I thought maybe that was the problem, but there were no other electronics nearby.

Well, within the 5 days, I've had major problems. The screen becomes scrambled, then gets white or black (still scrambling) to the point where I can't read anything on the display anymore. I've had some success with pushing the power button, waiting maybe 20 seconds for the [Sleep, Restart, Shutdown] window to pop up and choosing "cancel". Then the problem seems to go away and the screen is normal.

I've hooked up the powerbook to my external monitor (a Dell CRT) and at first, only the background showed up on the CRT. Then the scrambling happened (on the PB, not the CRT), until I pushed the power button and chose "cancel". Then I pushed F7 and the CRT displayed everything that the PB displayed.

I think it's the same problem that others appeared to have with these Powerbooks, which was a problem with the cabling, not any of the hardware per se. It's no longer under warranty. What are my options? Is it worth spending a few hundred dollars to get it repaired, or should I just continue using an external monitor?

This is my first/only Apple computer - I'm more of a Windows-type person so I'm contemplating whether I should give Apple another try for my next laptop or not (do other Mac laptops have similar issues?).

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would have to think that it is not the cables. If it were the cables only the PB display would be messed when plugged into the external monitor. Since both are scrambled, I would look into a faulty graphics card...meaning a new logic board.

3. FadingRose thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, only the display on the PB was scrambled. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The display on the external monitor was fine.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow