Powerbook 15"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nj1210, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Nj1210 macrumors newbie

I need all the help i can get on this tricky one..

I have a 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4,
    and 3 days ago, it loaded up with a folder with a question mark?
    i tried to alt boot it from the leopard disc, and i have a padlock with a code that needs to be entered

I have no idea what this code may be, and it is long out of protection plan, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :confused:

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The folder with a question mark means it cannot find the hard drive and is unable to boot. It doesn't sound good, that's for sure. Worst case: hard drive is dead. Best case: a ribbon or connection is bad.

There are fix it yourself sites. Here's one.

An Apple Genius will diagnose for free, then quote you a 'fix-all' cost. In other words, Apple will fix it no matter the problem for about $300. They fixed my G4 iBook for about that and I was pleased with the result.

EDIT: Try resetting your PRAM per these directions before you decide it's broken completely.

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Powerbook 15

This has happened to me.

In my case the problem was solved by reinstalling the operating system. Best to use the erase and install option. Provided you have a current backup.

If you don't have a backup, then try the archive and install options. This way all the contents of your hard drive will be found in the previous system folder.