PowerBook 15inch in June?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Kodawarisan claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.
  2. Death2PCs macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2003
    CA, USA
  3. freundt macrumors member

    Apr 8, 2003
    If you note it says power book G4...but seriously.. will they release yet another 1 GHZ G4 powerbook? Gods, I hope not....
  4. Ajohn macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2003
    Three weeks?

    Is it just me or have we had these "15-inch Al Powerbook in three weeks" rumors since MWSF? I believed them until about March. Now I'm hoping to get my new laptop sometime before Christmas.
  5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816


    Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We've been hearing 15" pb updates since february. Now we're at the point where all three need to be updated. COME ON APPLE!!!
  6. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

    Feb 14, 2003
    SF Bay area
    For what it's worth, he says middle of June. If Apple is true to form and goes for a Tuesday that would point to June 17.
  7. artificiallife macrumors newbie

    Feb 1, 2003
    Why is nobody thinking of WWDC as the special event? I mean, how many special events can they have in the same month?
  8. jholzner macrumors 65816


    Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Maybe they are going to update all powerbooks at the same time and give them 970's. Plus, update the powermac line with 970's as well. Wishful thinking I know but where else is apple supposed to go with their laptop line up? I'm no sure but can they even handle a higher mhz G4 chip due to heat issues?
  9. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    I'm betting on all PowerBooks getting updated together:

    12" 1 GHz

    15" 1 Ghz and 1.4 (or whatever is next)

    17" 1.4

    Then, afterwards, 970 PowerMacs, leaving 970 PowerBooks for the next revision after this one. At which point the iBook could go to G4 while iMac/eMac keep getting higher MHz.
  10. jholzner macrumors 65816


    Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Well, Apple early this morning lowered the prices on their 12" and 15" power books...maybe that's a sign...see the thread I started here.
  11. luke_s macrumors member


    Jan 24, 2003
    come on
    you aren't really speculating about this "rumor"???? every month someone different says: "15" PB update scheduled next month" someday someone will be right about this........
    then someone says: there will be 8 970 CPUs in it and you scream "wow cool make it 10 apple". btw. what do you people want to do with your powerbooks with 1.4 ghz? heating up your apartment?
  12. maradong macrumors 65816


    Mar 7, 2003
    hope is the last thing that dies my friend :D
  13. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816


    Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    G4 Powerbook in three weeks! Ha!

    This PB revision is becoming like the last iPod revision back in February (next Tuesday! No, wait... next Tuesday!).

    We've been waiting so long that I figure Apple is just going to release a Powerbook 970 at WWDC. Why else would we be waiting so long?
  14. e2chris macrumors member

    Jul 16, 2002
    Anyone see that they lowered some of the prices of the laptops... I cant remember what the 15'' was priced at but the 12'' came down $200 for both models.
  15. erova macrumors member

    Jan 18, 2002
    washington dc
    sho nuff. sounds like clearing the product stream for a june release to me.

    i like the idea of an updated 12 as well, instead of just updating the 15.
  16. chazmox macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2003
    Ahhh.... another month, another 15 inch PB rumor! Somebody is bound to finally get it right... Probably the best indicator is the current lower prices on the 12 and 15 inch - $200 is a big drop, esp. for the 12 inch...

    Then again maybe they'll just discontinue the 15 inch and all the rumor sites will be wrong!!!

    ( I don't believe that but it is the only way to confound EVERYONE... )
  17. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    on his site, Kodawarisan reported in May that the delay in the new Al 15" could be due to SARS in Taiwan. he noted it on May 21st...

    he also noted on the 13th that the new 15" will be G4/1 GHz with FW 800 and backlit keyboard, making the difference between 15" and 17" just the screen size.

    on a completely different note, his friend took apart the new iPod.

    link here: scroll toward the bottom. click on pictures to enlarge.

    he also attempted to swap the 5 gb (old) and 30 gb (new) HDs. pretty funny.
  18. makkystyle macrumors regular

    Aug 12, 2002
    I'm not too excited about the PB just getting FW800 and a backlit keyboard. Although this would make sense if the 15 is the only PB that would get updated because there is no way that the 15 inch could get a higher spec chip than the 17!!!

    It does seem really odd though that Apple has waited so long to release the 15 inch AlBook. There must be something up.
  19. BenRoethig macrumors 68030


    Jul 17, 2002
    Dubuque, Iowa
    There's not a lot Apple can do with the 15" PB at the moment. They could change to an brushed aluminum case with a 15.4" screen, add PC2700 memory, airport extreme, bluetooth, a backlit keyboard, FW800 port, and either a GeForce FX Go 5200/5600 or a Radeon Mobility 9200/9600. The 1ghz G4 is the fastest Motorola chip that Apple could put in there. The Powerbook line needs a new processor a.s.a.p. When it comes to non-altivec applications, the iBooks have almost reached parity with the Powerbooks..
  20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000


    May 18, 2003
    Don't forget USB 2.0 :)

    Do we know for sure 1 Ghz is the fasted G4 that can go in the powerbook?
  21. freundt macrumors member

    Apr 8, 2003
    I say we revolt if apple comes out with a "new" 1ghz g4 15" powerbook. I would say we storm the castle, but we have to beware of the infinite loop trap... :p
  22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Hey nobody liked the -- Apple delayed the death of OS 9 until June, so the legacy machines scattered throughout the lineup are most likely a marketing decision to keep OS 9 machines around until June -- answer.

    Even though there is that marketing decision Apple could have released replacements early or late, and centered around June.


    Since the above answers didn't fit in with their view of the world, there have been rampant rumors -- then the 970 rumors started. :rolleyes:


    If you don't like the above OS9 delay answer, you're really not going to like...

    Hey, it looks like Apple is getting ready to EOL the last of the iMac/PowerBook/PowerMac legacy machines that boot OS 9, sorry the new machines will just be speedbumped machines.

    But hey you might get FW800 in the DDR iMac and USB 2 in the Rev B PowerMac.

    As for the PowerMac 970s, try Christmas*

    * Told you that you wouldn't like it, it's just a possibility that will reveal itself and/or get buried in reality soon -- June/July.

    And no --- the last part is not a guess, speculation or whatnot -- just another possibe way in which events could unfold. ;)
  23. job macrumors 68040


    Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Do you know something we don't? ;)
  24. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000


    May 18, 2003
    Not to go offtopic... but Sun Baked... your website link is probably the cruelest and most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. :(
  25. MacBandit macrumors 604


    Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    At first I was like what the hell is this then I saw they were making a meal and that made it a lot better. People have to realize that cats and dogs are just animals like cows and chickens. People eat them.


    If the 970 is even going to be used by Apple I don't think it will be released by Aple until Fall or December. When was the last time Apple released something simultaneously or even close to the date it was made available to them. They are usually 6months to a year behind.

Share This Page