Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm trying to help a friend get into her old PowerBook 165 but we can't get it to boot up. Whenever it turns on we get the BONG startup sound and then it just flashes a floppy drive with a question mark. We can't get it to go any further and we're at a loss for how to get the files off of it now. Help? Someone...please. lol

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You need a boot disk. The flashing ? means there is no System Folder found. Are there files on there you are trying to get off? Or just trying to see what is on there?

You'll need a bootable 3.5" floppy. Which I will admit, might be kinda hard to come by. It runs System 7 originally. You have any System Disks?

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Unfortunately no, but is there somewhere I can go to download them? Or does someone on here have them that they can upload the necessary files somewhere and I can make my own disks? It did this once before, but after being left alone for a couple months it corrected itself somehow. We know what's on the computer, but there are specific files we're trying to get to as well. Thanks for the quick reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.