Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I have a 17" 1.67 with some serious illness, and I’d love some help.

The first symptom was a very dark screen. It seemed to be off, but light shone from behind, through the Apple logo, revealed an image. Reset the PRAM and the PMU, no change. Video out was fine, and it booted to desktop. Odd behaviour from the keyboard backlight: it came on in the light, and went off if the right sensor was covered.

Then, after a couple of tries, it blew the power supply (65w Apple).

Fitted a known good display and used another 65w Apple power supply. Display illuminated at the grey screen, but went dark before it got to the desktop. It reached the desktop, and the power supply fuse blew.

The original disply was dark on a good machine, but the replacement seems to have survived intact.

Any ideas?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a 17" 1.67 with some serious illness, and I’d love some help.

The first symptom was a very dark screen. It seemed to be off, but light shone from behind, through the Apple logo, revealed an image. Reset the PRAM and the PMU, no change. Video out was fine, and it booted to desktop. Odd behaviour from the keyboard backlight: it came on in the light, and went off if the right sensor was covered.

Then, after a couple of tries, it blew the power supply (65w Apple).

Fitted a known good display and used another 65w Apple power supply. Display illuminated at the grey screen, but went dark before it got to the desktop. It reached the desktop, and the power supply fuse blew.

The original disply was dark on a good machine, but the replacement seems to have survived intact.

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like a Dodgy DC-IN or Power Management board, as well as possibly a dodgy backlight on the old display (From the report on the known good display it seems like its losing power to the backlight, which is odd)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.