Powerbook 170 screen in 165?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by OSMac, Mar 7, 2013.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Can a active matrix screen from a 170 be put in a dual scan model 165?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe the screens of the 140 through the 170 can all be swapped without a problem. But you may want a second opinion before attempting anything.

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'd be interested to see how this went (purely for curiosity's sake).

I was always daunted by the plethora of LCD panels, Inverters, Interconnect PCBs and LCD cables for the 100 series.

There was always notes about how ONLY "this" goes with "that", so proceed carefully. The daughter board may also play a large part of which LCD will work.

Old display housings with brass screw inserts without cracks are hard to come by. Also, take care with the short grey cable on the interconnect board. The cable is made up of single strand copper and too much flexing easily breaks them.

Good luck! :eek:

4. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tips.

I pulled out the 165 LCD panel, noticed it's very flexible really have to keep that in mind all the time. Looks like I may have to get it recapped instead as my 2 leads on 170's fell through. One won't ship, the other feels a broken 170 is worth much more than I did...

5. MacTech68, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It looks like the 160 and 165 (both monochrome FSTN displays) are identical with identical display cables and inverters.

The LCD is Apple service P/N 661-0745 - of course, Apple no longer sell this part, but some vendors may sell it using that part number.

And here's the real killer which backs up my recollection of the dire state of swapping with the 100 series.

"Revision C" displays in the 145 and 145b are identical to the 160 & 165, but ONLY the revision C.

AFAIK, there is NO way to externally identify a 145 & 145b with a Revision C display. :mad:

EDIT: I guess the REAL question is, if a 145 or 145b revision A or B display, inverter and display cable are swapped into a 165, does the 165 daughter card have the ability to drive it. My answer: I don't know. I also don't know if the display housings were progressively upgraded to match any changes in mountings for the various revisions, if any. Sorry to be inconclusive. :(

What DOES seem apparent is that the LCD, Inverter & display cable MUST be swapped as a group at a minimum.