Powerbook 170

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by LP2002, Dec 20, 2010.

1. LP2002 macrumors newbie

I acquired a PowerBook 170 that is in perfect working order. There are no scratches anywhere on the body or screen. Is it worth anything?

Thanks!!

Kendra

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not much. I have one that I rescued from the trash, along with a PowerBook 165 and a 180c. Neat little machines.

There is a small market for them among vintage computer collectors/hobbyists - but in order to have much value you'd need to have all the original packaging, manuals and accesories it came with. If not, a working old PowerBook like that in good condition is really worth no more than $50 even to an Apple enthusiast, and even $50 is probably optimistic.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I agree on the $50 figure. The 170 is a fantastic machine, but like a lot of other Macs, aren't nearly as valuable as people seem to think they are. Unless you have a prototype, it usually takes a mint machine with original packaging to really get the price to eye opening levels.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The company I worked for back in the day used Macs - we got tons of these in.

The box and packing all made it into the garbage - who knew? :(

I did manage to save some of the manuals/disks, though...

5. Strimkind macrumors member

Too bad about the box and packing. That about doubles the value since most people recycled/trashed all of that long ago.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Keep it and use it for vintage computing (see how much modern stuff those old 68K machines are capable of... sometimes its scary how much of what I do on my Mac Pro I could just as easily do on a Quadra 900)

7. Old MacUser macrumors newbie

Can you say what OS it uses? I think mine used OS 7.0.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

The OP hasn't been around in almost 5 years, I doubt you'll get an answer.