Powerbook 180 IR Question

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mindingulove, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. mindingulove, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by finkmacunix: Jan 8, 2015

mindingulove macrumors member

Hello everyone!
    I have an old apple infrared receiver that uses dab, and two powerbook laptops, a 1400s running mac os 7.6 and a powerbook 180 running system 7.1.

The problem starts here, the 1400 has already an built in infrared dispositive, and i wanna connect my apple adb receiver to the powerbook 180 so that i can exchange files.

But i can't seem to find any software and driver to use infrared on the 180, is there any chance someone from old school know how to solve this?

thank you!

2. Altemose, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would have better luck posting in the Apple Collectors sub-forum.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple Collectors sub-forum would be best as both of those machines are 68K machines. You can ask a moderator to move this thread by clicking on the triangular report icon on your first post and requesting a thread move to the approbate sub-forum.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

thank you everyone!
    well its still difficult using an infrared in a powerbook 180, as a peripheral, so I'm open to other options. the goal is to transfer files without a floppy disk since my only pc with a floppy disk is a windows, and floppy have small capacity. I have in hand a powerbook 1400s with mac os 7.6, i have an iMac g3 rev b 333mhz with mac os 9, my iMac g3 has a modem port, and my powerbook a infrared port
    anyone knows how to use zterm and a null modem?

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Why not use Localtalk between printer ports from the 180 to the 1400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LocalTalk

The next option might be a PCMCIA Ethernet card for the PB1400. Be careful as SOME of these cards need a cable that has the standard RJ45 socket to a unique connector that plugs into the PCMCIA card - people often lose the cable. You'd also need to ensure that Mac drivers for MacOS 7.6.x are available for the PCMCIA Ethernet card.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just an idle thought...

I have an external IR adapter, and mine needs to be plugged into BOTH an ADB port and a serial port to work. Mine has one cable coming out the back that splits out into a pigtail for the ADB and serial ports.

I don't recall the model of mine, but do know that I've had little issue establishing a connection between my Q700 and my Pismo Powerbook.

Without knowing exactly what adapter you have, you might double check and make sure you're not missing a connector. With what I know about IRDA and ADB, I'm not sure if it would be possible to transfer data using only an ADB port.

8. mindingulove, Jan 8, 2015

mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the iMac g3 IRDa receiver, it has only one adb output, I'm not sure if its possible on this laptop, maybe using a null cable modem or a printer cable?

----------

my powerbook 1400 actually has a wireless pcmia orinoco gold card, but u mean a ethernet adapter right? what about the printer port, which cables would be needed? atm i only have a simple modem cable and was trying to establish a null modem connection with zterm

----------

my powerbook 1400 actually has a wireless pcmia orinoco gold card, but u mean a ethernet adapter right? what about the printer port, which cables would be needed? atm i only have a simple modem cable and was trying to establish a null modem connection with zterm. is it possible to use local talk with the null cable modem? thank you
    --------------
    here are the sorts available at powerbook 1400

and the ports available at powerbook 180

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm about 95% positive that the IRDa receiver in the early iMacs used a serial port and not an ADB port. As far as I know, no iMac has ADB, although most G3/G4 New World ROM Macs did have some form of internal serial port(for the modem).

Your problem may be that the iMac IRDa port really just isn't meant to work with anything other than an iMac. I don't know this for a fact, but am guessing.

10. mindingulove, Jan 8, 2015

Is this the solution? idk how to configure apple talk tough
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Ok, if you already have the Orinoco setup, then the Eithernet PCMCIA card is moot - I was actually coming back to update my post to add the wirless option for the 1400, but I see you already have this.

For LocalTalk, use a standard 8pin MiniDin to 8pin MiniDin printer cable from the 1400 to the 180. Use the printer port on both.

Think of it like this - LocalTalk is hardware, AppleTalk is software. What you're doing is using AppleTalk over LocalTalk. Like using TCP/IP over Ethernet.

In your Appletalk control panels, set AppleTalk to printer port. File sharing should be turned on (only one machine needs it - recommend the 1400). Then, on the PB180, go to the "Chooser" in the Apple Menu and select AppleShare. The PB1400 should show up in the right-hand side of the window. Click on it and follow the prompts.

12. mindingulove, Jan 8, 2015

I've set on powerbook 1400, file sharing on, selected macintosh hard rive as shared. and apple talk to printer/modem
    over powerbook 180, I've set on remote access setup panel, the port as : printer port

still on chooser in powerbook 180 nothing appears. what have i done wrong?

13. MacTech68, Jan 8, 2015

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Your 180 is probably running "Classic Networking" instead of "Open Transport". In this case, use the "Network" control panel to set the Printer port which is called "LocalTalk".

14. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

but in network panel local talk is selected

15. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Make sure on the 180 that AppleTalk is "Active" in the chooser.

Try rebooting both the 1400 and 180. Note that filesharing can take a little while to startup on the 1400. You can leave the filesharing control panel open to see it change to "on".

I'm pretty certain that a standard printer cable works if you are only joining two machines together.

16. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

Apple talk should be active in PowerBook 1400 chooser also? Thanks

17. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yes.

18. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

Any special setup for user & groups and sharing?

19. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Just use the name and password entered in the "Sharing Setup" control panel on the powerbook 1400

20. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

Well it still not working, I'll try testing the cables connection

21. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

the cable is just fine, i just don't see any reason why it should not work :(, maybe because its system 7.1? the other has 7.6.1. is there any software to test the ports? thanks

22. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

23. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

i was thinking, and if i update to 7.6.1? is there any way to record the diskettes over windows?

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.