Powerbook 190 info

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ctango, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ctango macrumors member

ctango

I just got a Powerbook 190 dropped off to me. It doesn't have a battery charger and the battery is drained. Does anybody have a good source for information on where to get the best price for the PB190 parts? This thing was sitting in a closet for who knows how long so the battery is probably dead. The best charger i could find was around $40. Does it need the special adapter, or could I buy a generic power adapter? Does anybody know the polarity / wattage that it needs? Anybody know a good spot to get info on the PB 190 and parts?

Thanks.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The PowerBook 190 (and 5300) often suffer from a severe power port failure which is often confused for a power adapter failure. Before spending money, you may want to ask the original owner if they remember what happened to the power adapter and if/why they threw it away.

3. ctango thread starter macrumors member

ctango

Thanks for the heads up. The person I got it from said that they saw it come up for a while on the battery, but the next time they tried it the battery was dead. So I'm hoping it will only be missing the power adapter. If it is a bad power port, would the 100 MHz upgrade fix that issue, since in it comes a new power supply board, or is it an issue with the port itself?

chris

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I wasn't aware of any 100mhz PowerPC upgrade for the 190, other than putting a 5300 motherboard in... which isn't really an upgrade its just turning it into a 5300.