Powerbook 1GHZ Titanium Power Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Startech2020, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Startech2020 macrumors newbie

Startech2020

Hiya,

Just picked up a Powerbook 1GHZ Titanium to run OS9 Natively. I also purchased a new battery for the laptop. I ran system profiler and the powerbook doesn’t seem to want to charge any battery that I place in the machine (tried 3 different batteries). It will run if it is plugged directly into the charger though. From a preliminary search online, would I have a DC Board issue?

Thank you!

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

What wattage power supply do you have?

My son had the 1GHz TiBook and it needs the 65W charger. If you have one of the 45W chargers then the battery will not charge.

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I had the same problem with my PowerBook G4 12 inch I used to have. I purchased a new battery but it didn't charge. But, oddly enough, the original battery charged just fine, but it did only hold a charge for 5 or 10 minutes because of the age. I don't know what the solution to your problem is, but this information might help.

4. Startech2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Startech2020

It seems I have the 45 Watt charger. So I just ordered the 65 Watt variant. The P-ram battery seems to be shot because the Time and Date will not save either.

5. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

If you can, I'd also recommend changing the PRAM battery.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not a great idea unless you're familiar with the model. Plus, they're not exactly cheap-they're $20-50 on Ebay.

VGA TiBooks(and most older Powerbooks) won't boot with a dead PRAM battery connected so I usually just remove them completely. If you get a good main battery and keep it charged, it's not a huge issue.

In any case, I've found that many aftermarket TiBook(main) batteries fit poorly. I've had some where I put cardboard shims at the front to get them to charge.

Aside from that, be sure you have a 65W charger!

7. Startech2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Startech2020

Gonna try the 65 Watt charger and look for another Titanium thats working for parts (Pram etc). I looked at the ifixit tutorial, and it seems like a straight forward fix.

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

They are most likely going to be dead, We are talking about a 13ish year old computer here. It is a miracle to find an original battery that holds a (good) charge even in 2008+ MacBooks

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Change the PRAM if you want, but it won't make a bit of difference. The only time it makes a difference is with the VGA TiBooks where having a dead battery connected will keep them from booting.

New PRAM batteries are $30-40 each if you must have one. That's less expensive than 1ghz 'Tis usually cost.

10. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

PRAM battery changes in the 1 GHz TiBook are a bit of a pain, and as mentioned, costly. Setting it to network time should fix the date/time shortly after booting up, and other than that there are no real effects of dead PRAM batteries in this model.